…be attentive to what is arising within you, and place that above everything else… What is happening in your inner most self is worthy of your entire love; somehow you must find a way to work at it.
—Rainer Maria Rilke (from the cover of an IOP handout on PTSD)
•Mindfulness and Self-Compassion change the physical structure and chemistry of the brain. Now there is scientific proof.
•Books I’ve ordered on the studies and effects of neuro-plasticity that have been referenced in IOP:
- Seeking Safety: A Treatment Manual for PTSD and Substance Abuse by Lisa M. Najavits
- Buddha’s Brain: The Practical Neuroscience of Happiness, Love, and Wisdom by Richard Mendius and Rick Hanson
- Bouncing Back: Rewiring Your Brain for Maximum Resilience and Well-Being by Linda Graham
- Into the Magic Shop: A Neurosurgeon’s Quest to Discover the Mysteries of the Brain and the Secrets of the Heart by James Doty
- The Mindful Way Through Depression: Freeing Yourself from Chronic Unhappiness by Mark G. Williams, John D. Teasdale, Zindel Segal, John Kabat-Zinn and John Teasdale
- Self-Compassion: Stop Beating Yourself Up and Leave Insecurity Behind by Kristin Neff
I’ll be in the program one more week.