The Next Simple Thing

I’ve “gotten out the door” every day for almost two weeks. I feel good about that. Doesn’t matter if I went to the mailbox and back or if I explored the neighborhood. I’m moving my grumpy knee.

The Next Thing is to pay attention to my gut.

Who knows what all is going on there? Compulsive Eating Disorder, Leaky Gut Syndrome, allergies, food intolerances, addiction… I’ve tried all my adult life to control my eating. And by that standard, I’ve failed every time.

How-some-ever, I do know a few things.

1. I’ve been eating crap consistently since Covid started.

2. I’ve gained weight. Don’t know how much since I threw away my scale years ago, but my grumpy knee says it’s a significant amount.

3. My gut is disturbed and unhappy. Everyone knows what that feels like and the explosive ways it can manifest.

4. Some foods make it worse. Some foods make it better.

Today I pulled out my old notes on Leaky Gut (since eating the foods on that list makes my gut happier) and started a grocery list. I also downloaded a recipe book onto my Kindle. I realized that was probably a waste since I have a mental block about cooking, but who knows?

I’m just trying to pay attention, to hold it all lightly. I will have days of clarity and days of fog. I will resist and I will fly.

I feel like I’m launching buoys with these simple tasks. When the bipolar symptoms swamp me or the compulsive eating pulls me under, I have something to focus on when the waters recede. When the weirdness of Covid-life pushes me farther from shore, I can hear those little bells in the distance. Instead of treading water, I can float toward my buoys. And then, swim.

Yeah, it’s still an Adventure.

1. Kiki
    Jan 07, 2021 @ 16:17:30

SandySue; I’m often thinking of you and wondering what you’re ‘up to’….
    Whatever you came across in those last months, you are not alone with your frustrations, your problems…. but try to tell that to someone who is suffering, so I do apologize.
    I wish you a healthy, and reasonably happy New Year.

2. TamrahJo
    Jan 09, 2021 @ 17:55:40

My tummy got all out of whack after I traveled and ate out during ‘be with family member during surgery” last spring – – didn’t heal, didn’t get better, weight gain, etc., all through summer – and then? I started putting tumeric, ginger, black pepper and cayenne pepper in my morning coffee press – took awhile, but overall? I felt better the days I drank more coffee (ingested more herbs) – – not everything fully mouth to end is fully fixed, but in case you are wondering/want the recipe, 1 1/2 parts tumeric to 1/2 part ginger, to 1/8th part pepper & cayenne – – – I brew it in coffee – put it in brewed tea for hot toddies when I’m sick – made ‘golden milk’ and added to chai spice green tea, etc. And added tumeric to my spice rubs for chicken/pork things with rosemary, sage or thyme in them – – not fast – maybe not the real reason I’m feeling better – but I like the taste, that stuff settles/digests better and so, true or not, I find, I just can’t do ‘plain coffee’ anymore – – LOL. and, well, only a tad bit of extra cooking or prepping – 🙂

Jan 11, 2021 @ 12:40:19

Tumeric is one of those magic potions. Yes, it goes in my licorice tea. Bone broth goes in my coffee now.

• TamrahJo
        Jan 11, 2021 @ 14:18:40

LOL. ❤ it!!! I just recently started adding tumeric to more 'spice rubs/etc" – I make the golden milk thinggee with ghee, etc, when I'm really sick and broth ain't cutting it – but then after researching things, decided to start adding it, ginger, black pepper and cayenne to other things – – :). I finally have a dedicated broth pot going all the time now – instead of doing the big, long, slow batches, freezing, etc…. I hope my last remaining 3 of six crockpots I purchased back in 2005 to do big batches for us and others in my cooperative club hold out to just keep it going! Thus far? My electric bill is only around $2 more per month, best as I can tell – LOL.

Jan 13, 2021 @ 09:00:22

I found both chicken and beef broth powder. Makes everything so simple.

• TamrahJo
        Jan 14, 2021 @ 18:28:42

I learned long ago about making the ‘deep bone broth’ which, with bones and vinegar to leach out, gives minerals – but there are so many places to ‘buy such things’ now – there wasn’t, back then – and, well, now? I get the free bones when I by direct and many around here who take animals in for butchering, don’t want their bones and often, just give them to me, for free – thus – water, electricity, vinegar, bones and time is where I’m at right now! 🙂

3. Writer Lori
    Jan 10, 2021 @ 06:28:41

Ahhh, Sandy, I think of you so frequently and hope that things are trending in the right direction. At the risk of being pedantic, might it help to consult a nutritionist for some guidance? I ask only because I recently saw one and made some changes to my diet that have yielded wonderful results in my energy levels and gut ‘happiness.’ I love that you continue to swim/fly/walk towards the buoys. Cheering you on from here…💕