Small Acts of Support

I’ve been reading about small acts of kindness and support that make a huge difference in the long run.  And we’re in this for the long run.  So, I’m brainstorming different ideas about how I can make a contribution in my small way.

Lisa Vollrath is sponsoring a Glue Card Swap of Good Thoughts that I’m going to participate in. Glue Cards are usually made out of trash, junk mail, recycled anything.  Down and dirty collage that’s fast and EASY.  So, if you’re the least bit interested, visit Lisa’s site and sign up.

In the meantime, I’ll be posting more Penny Positives and any other art that comes from a place of breath and love—like the Glue Card here.  I make these from scraps with a glue stick on old postcards, then stick them in my Etsy orders as a little thank you.  Sometimes these cards end up funnier than anything in my shop.  Or sweeter, like this Hello, Kitty girl (I love Hello Kitty).

What kinds of small things are you all doing to help yourself stay sane and to pass that on?

1. MarthaS
    Mar 27, 2020 @ 14:32:36

Cooked and baked for an exhausted nurse manager friend, took flowers to a friend, harvested and shared fresh kale with a friend. XO M

2. Kiki
    Mar 27, 2020 @ 17:08:22

We are not allowed to get or bring anything at all to anybody at all. Very difficult for my near-blind mother. So what I can do and do (just to give one exemple), is
    – phoning her every day for 15-50′ and telling her about my ‘great, funny, interesting’ day
    – sending her cards, letters, crossword-magazines to the home
    – giving from my own patio flowers to neighbours who do good things for others, etc.

Love you idea of little scrap glue cards. Sounds like great fun. I also do decorate my envelopes and sometimes it is a bit of a chore. Because everybody who already ever got one of those decorated envelopes expects an even better one next time. Whereas for me it’s just plain silliness….

Mar 28, 2020 @ 11:55:58

We are so creative in giving when we can’t touch or be near others. All those loving things you’re doing for your mother are great gifts.

• Kiki
        Mar 28, 2020 @ 12:02:12

Thank you. It’s only a question of love and some reflection. How can I be good for someone, and then do what is doable. It helps that I love my mum… 😊 She’s 93 yrs old in July and we don’t want to lose her NOW, but only when her time has come.

Mar 28, 2020 @ 07:13:29

We have a lot of eggs – anywhere from 28 to 40 a day. I have been giving them away to neighbors mostly, and FD manages to sell some at work, but he’s working from home right now.
    This pandemic hasn’t changed much for me lifestyle wise. I work here alone anyway, but I have added prayer to my work as I weed flower beds, mow, plant a garden and pick up downed wood clearing pathways as I go. It’s wonderful if people can think positively and join in doing good in whatever way they can. Putting positive thoughts out there seems small, but it works. “For where two or three are gathered together in My name, I am there in the midst of them.” ~Matthew 18:20

Mar 28, 2020 @ 11:54:05

Same for me, Lori. Others’ anxiety and fear for the future is just a touch away, so sending those cool, gentle thoughts out into the ethers is a wonderful tonic.

4. TamrahJo
    Mar 29, 2020 @ 21:22:54

Checking in with neighbors – if I venture out, calling before to see if anyone needs things picked up while I (one of us!) is out and about – phone calls, texts, emails – more than I do usually – just a quick, “checking in on you” – I get busy in me own hermitude and weeks/months can pass by before I realize, ‘hmm…I haven’t talked to so and so for awhile – better check in on them/say hi…” – Thus far, most my time/energy/$ are going towards doing my job and plans to expand the garden area – planting more – cuz Lord Willing and my hail protection infrastructure plans pan out, I might also be able to deliver some fresh veggies to the neighbors too – come May/June – :). we shall see – 🙂

5. Writer Lori
    Mar 30, 2020 @ 09:02:45

I’ve been checking in with neighbors, baking cookies and placing them in the neighbors’ mailboxes, calling and texting friends far and wide. Anything to feel that connection with others. Thanks for keeping the positive vibes flowing here, Sandy! xoxo