And Now For Something Completely Different…

(Gosh, Monty Python fits Everywhere)

Last month a magazine put out by our local paper sent a reporter and photographer to my house to interview me about my art.  This was wildly unexpected, but turned out to be a fun day.  Anytime I can talk about my art and what it means to me is a Good Day.

The article came out in Green Country Living on Sunday (“Green Country” is what this part of Oklahoma is called).  At yoga class on Monday, lots of the ladies beamed at me and said they’d enjoyed the piece.  I hadn’t seen it, but my yoga teacher brought her copy for me (It came out as a Sunday supplement).

The story was pretty lame, considering all the things the writer and I talked about, but the photography was lovely.  I’m glad to have these professionally staged shots of my work.  That makes the unfortunate prose worth it.

If you really want to read the article (starting on page 60), you can do that here, but I’d give it a pass.

1. Writer Lori
    Feb 12, 2020 @ 05:06:53

Congratulations, Sandy! Wonderful to see you receive this recognition, despite the pitiful prose…

2. Val Boyko
    Feb 12, 2020 @ 07:01:37

Terrific!

3. Kiki
    Feb 12, 2020 @ 12:35:18

This is, once more, amazing and awesome. Two words I might sligthly overuse but I DO mean them…. You are one truly surprising and very talented sister, Sandy. I wouldn’t worry about the writing, the photos tell your story very eloquently and truthful. I’m happy to put a face to your work as from now on – and I hope that the move to be closer to your sister will weigh positively on your overall feelings.
    I am moving back to Switzerland next week and although emptying (sort of….) a HOUSE to a rental flat, less than half the surface of the present home – drives me to despair and sleepless nights, I can look forward to return to my home country. Hero Husband has a job in Switzie and after nearly 2yrs of travelling back and forth (700km each way, every weekend), he’s at the end of his tether and me too – so we decided to move back. Different reasons, different feelings to yours but I can see the troubles it can cause. Wishing you always only THE BEST. Hugs.

Feb 14, 2020 @ 08:31:43

Everyone should have a Hero Husband. I love that gobs. Much luck, sleep and imagining life smaller. I found it gets easier once you get started. It’s amazing what we can do without.

Feb 15, 2020 @ 10:57:22

I thought the interview on you and your art work was the highlight of GCL. The photographs were beautiful, and I did not think the writing was so bad. I am sure the disappointment was with the comparison of what you shared with the writer and how the piece actually ended up.

I’m no expert on that area of Oklahoma, but that magazine makes the region look way more upper society than I remember it to be. Perhaps I run with a different crowd – the folks I knew from that area did not live in houses like the ones in the magazine!! Ha ha

Feb 16, 2020 @ 07:40:08

You are absolutely right. There’s really no middle class here, just rich and poor. GCL definitely caters to the upper crust. And, thanks, Lori, for your perspective. My ego definitely got in the way.

5. TamrahJo
    Feb 16, 2020 @ 17:47:35

congrats on the photo spread and, while I’m not a prose/writer, I didn’t find the article truly horrible – but yes, when a column inch spread tries to encapsulate all our art/endeavors mean for us, I would think, it would always fall short – 😀