Stretching… A Little

Some of us are natural go-getters, some of us would rather binge-watch BBC detective series.  Most of us roam around on that spectrum, depending on the weather and available bags of Cheetos.

My sister and I decided to push against entropy by planning a few day trips before the heat and humidity drove us back to Netflix.  Last Friday, we toodled off to Robbers Cave.  We spent a pleasant hour driving through bright sunshine, moving deeper into pine forest, eyeballing new country, and nattering in our Wyatt Sister shorthand.

My sissy loves caves, rocks, stones, waterfalls, so we hoped to find some of these (a cave seemed a sure bet).  What we didn’t expect was the climb.

Our part of Oklahoma sits at the edge of the Ozark and San Bois mountains.  I’d call the terrain “foothills.”  But that was before I stepped up and really said, “Hello.”

The brochure for the park calls it “a favorite of rappellers and hikers.”  I guess we both thought that meant the Gift Shop and guided tours would be in a separate area.  However, when we found the parking lot for the cave and looked up at a trail that petered out into solid rock, we hitched up our britches and prepared to meet Nature face to face.

Between my sister’s vertigo and my bulk, we laughed our way over boulders in a drunken, grabbing-at-any-hand-hold pace.  After about an hour of that, hikers coming down told us the infamous Robbers Cave was actually on the other side of this mini-mountain and “wasn’t much to look at.”

That’s all we needed.

Proud of our foray into fresh air and green stuff, we hobbled back to the car and found Maw and Pa’s Country Cafe where our cheeseburgers felt well-earned.

And in spite of all our huffing and puffing, our elderly bodies didn’t complain much the next day, which I attribute to our weekly yoga class.  And the fact that neither of us fell down.

Next Month: Fayetteville, Arkansas where we hope to find more antiques and fewer boulders.

1. Kiki
    May 21, 2019 @ 11:55:13

Oh, this is so funny; and it could have happened to me too. I’m a total NULL in any geographical question, including all maps and even rightly interpreting signs – and I’ve found myself in many a not very respectable situation because of my lack of map reading facilities! Hope you have fully recovered and thank you for this refreshing tale.

2. Catherine Cheng, MD
    May 21, 2019 @ 12:05:55

Sandy Sue,
    What a great story, thank you so much for sharing!! How fun for you and your sister to spend this quality time together, exploring, enjoying, and discovering! Best wishes to you both! 😄

3. Martha
    May 21, 2019 @ 13:14:45

Cool! Great writing and fun perspective.

4. Writer Lori
    May 22, 2019 @ 03:56:32

Looks like a beautiful day, Sandy, and always fun to have an adventure that concludes in a cheeseburger. 😉 So happy you and your sister could get out and enjoy. Can’t wait to hear about the outing!

5. Writer Lori
    May 22, 2019 @ 03:57:03

The *next* outing…head moving faster than fingers…

May 26, 2019 @ 07:36:52

What a bright and hilarious read this morning! The cheeseburger at the end was tops! Oklahoma has many beautiful and interesting places to see, but you live in an unusual and exceptional area, with so much loveliness to explore. Forrest is part goat, so on hikes he ambles along at a continual pace, where I tend to use my camera as an excuse to catch my breath, saying, “Hold up a minute, I’m missing photographs!!”.

I love the photos here. You look so happy! 🙂