Good-Bye, Henry

After suffering a stroke in the wee hours of Monday morning, Henry gave me the clear sign I’d asked for fourteen years ago when we first came home together. I promised him then that I’d pay attention and be brave when he gave that sign.

We spent our last night together on the bed so I could help him move and tell him stories about our life.

Now I’m sitting in the vet’s parking lot, our contract completed.

Thank you, Hen, for being my Person when I didn’t have a person.  Thank you (and Emmett) for giving me a reason to live when I didn’t want one. I am so grateful.

1. Lori
    Dec 11, 2018 @ 08:17:59

So sorry…. there is nothing like the unconditional love of our pet…

2. Catherine Cheng, MD
    Dec 11, 2018 @ 08:21:27

😞🙏🏼❤️

3. Jan
    Dec 11, 2018 @ 08:33:25

So sorry Sandy. RIP sweet Henry, your mission is complete. Love you Sandy……………..Jan

4. Val Boyko
    Dec 11, 2018 @ 08:41:53

Oh Sandy, you are such a brave and loving soul. So sorry for your loss. May Henry live on in your heart and in the memories you have. Sending a hug your way. 🤗

5. Kiki
    Dec 11, 2018 @ 11:36:14

Sandy, what a touching, beautiful and heart-breaking testimonial this is! Pets are the best…. and obviously you two were much more than owner and pet but two perfectly aligned blessings for each other.
    Hope Henry will have many happy events in pets’ heaven and that you’ll find another 4-legged friend in due course. I send you a huge hug and a bunch of consoling thoughts!

Dec 11, 2018 @ 15:31:31

Thank you, Kiki. I still have Emmett, who has been squashed all these years by Henry’s Alpha male dominance. It will be interesting to see if he expands into a new role.

6. Moss Piglet
    Dec 11, 2018 @ 12:52:34

So sad…all that furry love x

7. Writer Lori
    Dec 12, 2018 @ 04:48:38

Oh damn, Sandy, no words. The love and companionship these sweet beings give us is beyond explanation. My two pups are a constant source of joy, amazement and sometimes consternation, but always, always love. I know that Henry will live on in your heart. May warm memories of your time together carry you through this rough patch. Sending BIG hugs…

8. Sawsan
    Dec 12, 2018 @ 08:13:58

So sorry Sandy 😞

9. Lyn Ghormley
    Dec 14, 2018 @ 20:04:16

So sorry, Sandy. No matter how many times we go through this, it always hurts like the first time. I’m tearing up just writing this. Henry thanks you for knowing when to let go, and not being selfish by keeping him beyond his time. The pain will dull eventually, and you will be able to think about getting Emmet and yourself another snuggle buddy. Don’t wait too long. So many kitties are languishing in shelters, and you could save a life. Bless you.

Dec 15, 2018 @ 17:10:52

Thanks, Lyn. I doubt I’ll get another cat while Emmett lives. He’s been under Henry’s rule for so long, I need to see what he needs in this new dynamic.

Dec 16, 2018 @ 07:31:29

I’m so sorry Sandy. It’s never easy nor can we ever really prepare to part with our little buddies. Henry did his part by giving you a clear sign. Your journey together was a good one.

It will be interesting to see how Emmett adjusts. I hope you’ll keep us informed about him. After our Zoe passed, Mr. T seemed to flourish. And then when we lost Bear, Mr. T seemed to grieve just a little, and then two weeks later, he perked up, and was more active than we’d ever seen him. We’ve added Oscar and Lollipop, and Mr. T still enjoys being the big dog around here. I loved that he finally had the freedom to be the Big Daddy he was born to be!