The Titanic Had a Plan, Too

Planning is part of my DNA.  Knowing a plan is just the tip of an iceberg was something I had to learn.

As I waited this past winter to move from Iowa to Oklahoma, I tried to imagine what difficulties might be in store.  I knew leaving my therapist and managing without one for a while (I finally meet her this week) meant working as many Tools as I could, including complete acceptance of where ever I landed on the bipolar scale each day.  I expected leaving my friends and UU church community might stir up some ancient loneliness and tendencies to isolate.  I imagined the culture of the Plains might take some getting used to, or that the food might be a little different.  I wondered if living closer to family would challenge my communication skills, my boundaries or shake up what I’ve come to consider my limitations.

What never even crossed my mind was the weather.

I knew it got hot here in the summer, but I was not ready for 95 degrees and 96% humidity the first week of May.

It stupefied me.  The humidity seeped into the crevices of my skull and expanded like Gorilla Glue.

My nephew, the rancher, gave me lots of good advice:  Get any running around done in the morning, then high-tail it home to air conditioning for the rest of the day.  I told him I must be losing weight with all the puddles of sweat in my shoes and no appetite.  He said he thought the same thing when he moved here back in his college days, but it never did work that way.

Well, shoot.

Now, Iowa can be hot and humid.  In fact, my friends tell me it is right now.  But, I don’t ever remember opening my front door at 7:00 in the morning and walking into a swampy cement wall.  It takes a moment or two to find the air and pull it into my lungs.  I feel like Ed Harris in The Abyss.

I can’t tell if my depression is worse because of the weather, or if it’s the normal run of my rapid cycling doing its thing.  I know I’m bored with my own whingeing and try to keep my mouth shut.  I must say it does help to hear locals complain and that the weather service issued a heat advisory yesterday.  It’s not just me, then, being a weenie.

Knowing my A/C will be on until October makes me worry about my expanding carbon footprint.  To that end, I’m determined to recycle and to look at other ways I can assuage my environmental guilt.

I know.  I’ll make a plan.  That will solve everything.

1. Michelle at The Green Study
    Jun 02, 2018 @ 12:53:31

Excellent title, Sandy. Since complaining about the weather is de rigeur for Minnesotans, I will tell you we went from days of heat advisories last week to severe storms to a 40 degree drop in temperature. The weather is disordered. Glad you’re settling in and getting sage advice on how to survive the heat.

2. David Kanigan
    Jun 02, 2018 @ 13:37:15

Smiling. It will solve everything. You are something.

3. Dharma Sims
    Jun 02, 2018 @ 16:00:12

I’m next door in Arkansas and feel your pain. I was born and raised here and have never gotten used to it. I hope you’ll find effective ways to adjust. My husband swears he’s moving us to the desert when he retires. I’ve always been against that plan, but when I went outside the other day and was slammed with the humidity, I pretty much decided I’ll say yes. haha … Hang in there and good luck with the new therapist.

4. Writer Lori
    Jun 03, 2018 @ 16:10:58

We’re working on a move from NH to southern FL, Sandy. After reading this post, I am thinking maybe we should have a ‘Plan B.’ Hang in there…

Jun 09, 2018 @ 12:01:27

This amuses me a bit. I’m that weirdo person that froze to death up north, moved south and appreciates the weather in Oklahoma. The humidity can be awful at times in summer. Fall and winter will be lovely, Sandy… even spring, although this year it was a short spring season. It took me years to acclimate to the brutality of summer heat and humidity. I hated the insects, snakes, lizards, scorpions and varmints that seemed more prevalent here than up north. But 28 years later, I respect the weather, the critters, and the wildness of this place. My perception has totally changed. There is healing and growth in every place in this journey.

I had to agree with an elderly lady who owned a hair shop here all of her life. She would look at my long tresses (when I first moved to Oklahoma) and say, “You silly girl… out here it’s “up or off” with the hair. It didn’t take me long to understand. I cut my hair in time, but pulling it back in a ponytail or braiding it was the only way to keep cool. And another saying that’s popular here is, “Ya need to put some rocks in yer pockets!” Yep, that wind can be relentless some days!

Jun 10, 2018 @ 07:28:55

Your wisdom helps, Lori. My theory is that the weather was just another straw on this camel’s back. Last week was the worst (bipolar-wise) that I’ve had in a while, even counting my pre-moving jitters. Part of that is hypersensitivity where any external irritant gets compounded. I started coming back yesterday, and feel more so this morning. I’m hoping this current storm is on its way out and I can start to appreciate my new digs again.