Back at the Table

It’s been a long while since I sat at the studio table and fiddled with my piles of art fodder.  All I’ve been able to do for several months is doodle in my art journal—which is exactly what I needed to dissipate the anxiety and bipolar flares brought on by moving.

Spreading out in my new digs means using the living room as my studio, with a whole wall in the kitchen devoted to wet work (not the CIA/NSA kind).  All the supplies in the photo at right used to be crammed onto that little shelf unit on the far left and in the containers on the table.  How did I do that?

I’d become an expert in carving out space in my little 450 square foot apartment and fitting everything together like a jigsaw puzzle.  So much so that arrangement is still a little wonky here.  New space, new jigsaw.

I sent for an IKEA file cabinet and a two-drawer unit to sit on top.  Now I can file new techniques I want to try.  All the books I rip pages out of sit together.  All my vintage photos are within arms reach.

But, I didn’t christen the Studio for a long while.  And I didn’t worry about it.  Eventually, the stress would ease.  Eventually, the bits and bobs I love would call to me.

Of course they did.  And I went back to making the larger versions of my Penny Positives—little collage pieces on 3.5 X 2.5 playing cards. This morning I took pictures of the thirteen I’ve finished and put them in my Etsy shop.

It was a grunt.  Mornings used to be my most productive time, but I’m still struggling with early morning depression and thick mental fog.  Most days, that lifts.  Sometimes not.  But, I’m determined to tick one, small task off my To Do list each day and to reinforce a new routine.  Hard work, but necessary.

So, for anyone who was waiting for me to make those Penny Positive cards, there are a few in my Etsy shop now and more on the way.

Bit by bit, breath by breath, life, work and my mental shenanigans are finding their way back to the Table.

1. BipolarOnFire
    May 19, 2018 @ 12:32:01

Glad you’re settling in to your new life!

2. Val Boyko
    May 19, 2018 @ 16:24:54

New space. New possibilities. I like your structured approach Sandy 💛

3. David Kanigan
    May 19, 2018 @ 21:05:18

Welcome back to the new table Sandy…

4. Writer Lori
    May 20, 2018 @ 04:47:02

Bit by bit, day by day, this new chapter comes into focus. So happy for you, Sandy. And heading over to Etsy to shop now. 😁

May 20, 2018 @ 13:38:33

A fresh start generally connects the old with the new… finding a way through what remains to be dealt with and inviting new perspective to make it all work once again. I love the quote by Wolff on the card… we’re evolving all of the time.

May 22, 2018 @ 06:59:11

Yes! Not everything fits or needs to be carried through—things that surprise me or I thought would always be with me. It’s freeing/unsettling.

6. kirizar
    May 20, 2018 @ 22:28:27

Congrats on completing the move! If you didn’t have several nervous breakdowns in the process, you’re doing better than most. (I gave myself seven years bad luck by breaking a mirror during an impatient move.)

May your art flow and lead you from chaos to productivity!