Countdown to Muskogee. . . 15

Last week I went to my old sanctuary—the Cinemark 20 in Jordan Creek Mall in Des Moines.  It was the first place I felt really safe when I moved from Minneapolis to Marshalltown.  Those years when I was so sick and ill equipped to deal with it, the hour-drive would start to ease my mind.  But it was the theater itself that gave me a place to rest.  Dark, contained, I could distract my conscious mind with the stories onscreen, the music, the beauty, the art.  Often I spent the day going from one movie to the next with no interference from the staff.  I stayed as long as I needed for my mind to settle or shift.

Jordan Creek started my bipolar education—to know for a fact that my moods would shift and to wait for it with less fear, to appreciate the need and use of distraction, to contemplate acceptance of this terrifying part of myself.

I sat in the newly remodeled lounger seats filled with gratitude for a place that held me when nothing else could.  Memories of movies experienced rolled between my fingers like prayer beads.  I said good-bye with love.

1. Val Boyko
    Apr 05, 2018 @ 06:51:48

Such a beautiful post Sandy 💛

2. Sawsan
    Apr 05, 2018 @ 07:26:01

Like prayer beads, I love this ❤
    We all have a place like this and I haven’t been to mine in a while.

Apr 05, 2018 @ 07:50:52

Saying goodbye to places where memories are stored is therapeutic.On trips back to Nebraska, I still stop by old haunts or even places that hold good memories, to say goodbye or be thankful. Twenty-eight years later, it feels good to find the gift that brought change.

4. Anita S
    Apr 05, 2018 @ 10:11:22

It is awesome that you have developed so much insight about your needs and how to meet them. Also, the journal pages are beautiful!

5. Writer Lori
    Apr 06, 2018 @ 17:43:23

“…a place that held me when nothing else could.” Lyric, Sandy, really….

6. BipolarOnFire
    Apr 07, 2018 @ 09:03:33

You are making this move with such courage and grace. I wish I had one tenth of your poise.