Saying Good-Bye Well: Part 2

Today was my last appointment with my therapist, Megan.  Last week I had my last visit with my nurse practitioner, Sarah.  There’s been a lot of blubbing (as the BBC might say), and not all on my side of the couch.

I thought I would be a mess.  These two women saved my life many times over.  They taught me how to be bipolar and still function in the world.  When they set up their clinic almost three years ago, they created a sanctuary for me where I was always welcome to hang out with my art supplies.  They are the most professional care providers I’ve ever had.  And I know, without a doubt, that they love me.

I know, too, that their consistency is the reason I can leave them.  I take everything they’ve taught me, their humor, and their open-heartedness with me.  I will be fine, whoever I find in Muskogee to be my therapist.  It will be a new relationship enriched by the healthy, positive ones I had with Megan and Sarah.

Today, the three of us ate lunch in Sarah’s office, laughing and leaking tears in equal measure.  I know this sounds horrid, but their distress lifted me up.   I’ve been struggling with all the uncertainty of this move—not knowing when it will happen, making lists I can’t act on.  Today’s loving closure gave me a much-needed sense of a job well done.  I drove home feeling lighter than I had in weeks.

In her card to me, Megan wrote in part:

I am a better person and a better provider because of the things I have learned in our work together.  You are super fucking awesome, and I will miss you tremendously.

Sarah wrote:

“In a world of ordinary mortals, you are a wonder woman.” —Queen Hippolyta (Wonder Woman’s mom).  I will miss you dearly.

I am so grateful to have had them on My Adventure.

The Birchwood Team. Megan—back row, second from left. Sarah—front row, in the chair

1. BipolarOnFire
    Feb 22, 2018 @ 17:07:29

How bittersweet…

2. Lori
    Feb 22, 2018 @ 20:18:08

You are truly the Wonder Woman…

3. David Kanigan
    Feb 23, 2018 @ 02:01:12

So wonderful. And that the three of you could have lunch to share, that’s something. Best of luck to you Sandy on this next leg of your journey.

4. Writer Lori
    Feb 23, 2018 @ 03:39:16

What a lovely testament…to Megan and Sarah, and to your growth and strength, Sandy. You got this….

5. bravingmentalillness
    Feb 24, 2018 @ 19:42:28

That is truly bittersweet, but I’m happy to hear your practitioner experiences have been beyond helpful. Congratulations on your current and future successes! 😀

Feb 25, 2018 @ 19:54:25

I have gone through many unhelpful care providers, so these women were a unique gift.

• bravingmentalillness
        Feb 28, 2018 @ 18:43:22

I hear you. It’s definitely a loss! It’s so hard to find any provider that is intuitive and empathetic.

Mar 01, 2018 @ 12:33:17

I so agree. It took me years to find these two after suffering abusive and unhelpful providers. But I’m much better at asking for what I want now, and can look forward to the next relationship.

• bravingmentalillness
        Mar 06, 2018 @ 15:05:38

Exactly! You’ve grown exponentially and no one can take that away!

6. Val Boyko
    Feb 25, 2018 @ 13:52:32

How heart warming and empowering, Sandy. You have truly blossomed with these wonderful peeps! I’m excited for you as you step forward into the next chapter of your life 💕

7. Kitt O'Malley
    Feb 25, 2018 @ 19:15:20

Love is the greatest healer. I can imagine your lunch with these women. All three of you, Wonder Women.