Pass the Xanax

Direct correlation:  The more real moving to Oklahoma becomes, the higher my anxiety and general state of mania.

This is no big surprise, just annoying.

I found out the movers will pack everything (I don’t even have to empty out my drawers), get it on a truck and be on the road in just a few hours.  Shane, the boss, kept saying, “You don’t have much.  Shouldn’t take more than an hour to pack.”  The benefits of minimal living.

With that weight off my sizzling brain, I gave my sister the green light to start our apartment search in earnest.  My nephew had already alerted her to a townhouse (I’m so verklempt that he’s involved), that turned out to be everything I want and more for a very reasonable rent price.  Still three bedrooms and two baths seems HUGE, so sissy and her realtor friend will look at a few more places next week for due diligence, but I’m guessing it will be townhouse living for me.

Now, all I have to do is manage my heebie jeebies and prepare for my trip to Taos where I’ll spend a week with my favorite spiritual artist, Orly Avirneri, and a conclave of painty-fingered friends.  Part of doing both tasks has been making a journal for the workshop.  I found these disemboweled book covers at an antique mall a while back, intending them for just this purpose, so it felt good to put a couple to use (and focus my scattered attention).  I’m out of waxed thread, though, so have to wait for that order to come before I can bind the signatures in place.

I can’t sit still long enough to enjoy my magazines, which is my GoTo for mind balm.  So, I’m just doodling in my new journal, which seems to be doing the trick—at least for now.  I’ll have to take my gimpy knee and hit the pool this weekend to burn off some of this excess adrenaline.

In the meantime, pass the Xanax, please.

1. Penny
    Feb 09, 2018 @ 07:31:10

Sounds like a big move, Friend. And you are putting one foot in front of the other. Ending up with 3-bedroom might mean you get an art room?

Feb 09, 2018 @ 07:40:09

If we take the townhouse, the dining room would be my studio. I think the upstairs with the 2 other bedrooms and bath would end up being a Miss Haversham type of space—storage and secrets, and maybe a moldy wedding cake for effect.

• Penny
        Feb 09, 2018 @ 17:17:58

Well now, that could be a fun way to get people talking!

• Lyn
        Feb 11, 2018 @ 00:29:19

Wow, you’re moving someplace warm! Congrats. Can’t wait to be footloose myself someday. All the real artists live where they can cast pots outside year round, right? BTW, I make wedding cakes, if you need a mold factory. Shipping it to Taos would give it a good start on decrepitude.

Feb 11, 2018 @ 22:21:04

😀

2. jinjerstanton
    Feb 09, 2018 @ 12:01:37

Awesome.

3. hazelhillboro
    Feb 09, 2018 @ 12:18:34

Good luck! Moving is so stressful…be gentle with yourself. It will feel like home before you know it.

Feb 09, 2018 @ 14:39:51

I like how you acknowledge your feelings and take concrete steps to deal with the stressers.

Obviously everyone’s problems are uniquely their own, but I can relate to the particular stress that major life changes involve. I’m facing this right now and find myself waking up to fret in the middle of most nights. Why do the worry monsters come visiting in the wee, small hours when we are most alone and vulnerable? I am generally on a relatively even-keel emotionally, and don’t have any clinically-diagnosed extra challenges. Nonetheless, I now appreciate on a more personal level how very easy it would be to suffer a panic attack…or two…or fifty.

5. Robert@65
    Feb 09, 2018 @ 23:05:20

leaving Iowa then are you? Well that can be good and you are now closer to Colorado.

6. Writer Lori
    Feb 10, 2018 @ 05:18:42

Moving is wicked stressful for ANYONE, Sandy. Sounds like you’re tackling the challenge head on, despite the stress, and having your family at the other end of the line is a blessing. Hang in there!

Feb 10, 2018 @ 20:46:28

I lost my temper yesterday, something I don’t do. I usually cry or just fume in silence. I decided to read it as an indicator of the stress instead of a personality flaw. Took a pill and sat with my cats the rest of the day. It’s good to have tools.

Feb 10, 2018 @ 09:24:26

I have anxiety over your move too… I’m tickled pink yer comin!!! 😀

8. Kitt O'Malley
    Feb 10, 2018 @ 23:12:47

Holding you in my prayers. Moves are tough. Sounds like you are being kind to yourself. Enjoy Taos.

9. Lyn