Doilies and Flickers in the Dark

Our Social Justice Minister, Erin Gingrich, asked me to participate in her service a couple of weeks ago.  Her topic was “Hope Rekindled,” and she’d heard enough of my story to think some version of it might add something “powerful.”

I loved crafting a speech to fit the theme and metaphors we chose—visions of high school speech competitions made me smile as I worked.  Even better was the opportunity to pull out parts of my story that could be told in an uplifting way.  I wasn’t nervous that Sunday, just honored.

The third member of our service team that day, Martha Shen, crocheted a huge doily for Erin some time ago.  She included a poem with her gift that became our service’s central theme.

a single strand

masterfully intertwined

whose beauty is defined

as much by the empty spaces

as by the strand itself.

Here’s my Reflection.  If you’d like to hear Erin’s homily, you can click here.

1. Michelle at The Green Study
    Dec 28, 2017 @ 08:31:59

Your reflection brought tears to my eyes. Good to see and hear you again. Best wishes for a kind year ahead, Sandy.

2. radiatingblossom
    Dec 28, 2017 @ 09:40:23

You are amazing!!!!!!

3. Rachel Imsland
    Dec 28, 2017 @ 14:27:30

Thanks for sharing Sandy! Great to see and hear you “live.” Also your talk was wonderful and I’m honored to listen and read your words as you walk your path. You certainly are a Wonder Woman!

4. Robert@65
    Dec 28, 2017 @ 15:55:06

you spark me!

5. BipolarOnFire
    Dec 28, 2017 @ 18:31:40

That was very deeply touching to me. Thank you for sharing it. You have so many gifts to share!!

6. Trackback: A Mind Divided – Live & Learn
  7. Writer Lori
    Dec 29, 2017 @ 05:00:36

“…relaxing into our own compassion,”something I think we ALL struggle with, Sandy, no matter our back story. But boy, when you can do it, positive shifts occur, as you noted.

Thank you for sharing a bit of your amazing journey. You wisdom, wicked sense of humor, and general ‘bad assery’ (I know that’s not technically a word, but you know as writers we can take certain liberties..) is a spark for me. Wishing you many blessings in the new year….

Dec 29, 2017 @ 07:56:24

You did very well on this sharing. Your perspective was very positive, and I loved the interjection of a little humor. The message was direct and personal. You seem to have found another niche – writing AND speaking. I hope you will have more opportunities like this. I thoroughly enjoyed it!

9. Sawsan
    Dec 29, 2017 @ 08:34:21

Two things have always jumped at me from your blog, your Light in the form of courage, and your Intellect.
    You are one person I hope to meet in person. Thank you for sharing this video. You present so beautifully. Holding you tight in my heart.

10. jinjerstanton
    Dec 29, 2017 @ 12:38:52

Amen.

11. Kiki
    Dec 29, 2017 @ 14:54:29

Sandy, thank you for your thoughts and feelings. BP is an illness I have witnessed in three cases, all of which resulted in disintegration of their families. I am glad to see that you’ve plenty of sparks …. and I appreciate learning about bp more and more. You’re a brave woman and I wish you every ‘success’ of being a sparkling, bright, wonderful Superwoman 🙂

12. debiriley
    Dec 29, 2017 @ 21:56:18

beautiful. and so amazingly inspiring Sandy. Thanks for sharing this.
    love that phrase flickers in the dark !
    you made me smile as well as tearing up. my niece and a nephew are bipolar, as yet untreated and their lives are filled with…. despair. You provide such hope that flickers in their dark, might be seen – might be followed.

13. TamrahJo
    Dec 30, 2017 @ 03:03:41

Courage and Brave are what I would clip out to put on handmade, one of a kind, cards, IF I was talented enough to make AND mail to you! 🙂 FANTABULOUS! (And I still have craft materials to ship to you – but the clearing out and packing boxes got waylaid half-way through the project by Life – 🙂 On my ‘to-do’ list for January, to finish the ‘sorting/packing for others’ adventure from clearing out 3 generations of ‘women who SAVE!’ stock that all wound up on my front, enclosed porch – where I would like the space to start my indoor garden….:)

Dec 30, 2017 @ 07:32:56

Oh, goodness. If we lived close enough, I’d drive over & load up my car. I’m in Iowa—where are you?

• TamrahJo
        Dec 30, 2017 @ 15:44:49

Just a hop, skip and a jump over in colorado. But if you come now, you will be put to work organizing chaos. Perhaps I can get my home in order, boxes packed and do a road trip this spring! Lol

Dec 31, 2017 @ 17:33:26

Shoot. I was looking forward to a day trip. Oh well. Much luck shoveling.

• TamrahJo
        Dec 31, 2017 @ 21:53:32

🙂 less snow here than my cousin in corpus christi got earlier this year! 🙂 No worries, you emailed me your address and I am soooo ready for a road trip to indulge in my live people/places! Via USPS, UPS or me 98 F250, supplies will find their way to you….just as soon as I sort through all the crates!

• TamrahJo
        Dec 31, 2017 @ 22:54:16

No worries! Whether I get sorted and shipped to you (I requested and you sent me your mailing address sometime this past summer – um…yeah…see how far behind I am?!?) OR I get it all sorted, pack up the ’98 F-250 and bring to you – (ROAD TRIP!) It will all take place at the perfect time!!! One way or another, I HAVE GOT TO GET THIS STUFF moved from my place to your place – cuz it’s just wasted, here, and you, my friend, can put it to good use! I just need to ‘Git ‘er Done!” 🙂

14. Val Boyko
    Dec 30, 2017 @ 11:29:22

This is truly bad-ass and inspiring, Sandy! Thank you for sharing your story, courage, message, and beautiful You 💕

15. kirizar
    Dec 31, 2017 @ 11:23:16

You made me cry watching this. So beautifully stated and hopeful despite the struggle. Thank you for sharing.

16. Kitt O'Malley
    Dec 31, 2017 @ 17:19:15

Brilliant. Radical acceptance and compassion. Amen. Sharing your video!

17. tonyroberts
    Jan 01, 2018 @ 07:47:40

Good for you, Sandy Sue. I hope you continue to discover opportunities to share your story.

18. Trackback: Doilies and Flickers in the Dark – Br Andrew's Muses