An Optimist’s Calendar

When I’m sick with lung crud, I like to have a project to keep me busy.  This time I worked on a birthday present for my nurse practitioner, Sarah.  She is a sunny, terminally optimistic, giggle factory, so I thought what better than to make her An Optimist’s Calendar.

Honestly, I don’t know how these ideas come to fruition.  I read an article about using teabags in art a while back and remember thinking, What about the wrappers?  And, I think, calendar made me think of Advent calendars with their little treats hidden inside each day.

Each of my daily pockets holds at least two tiny, positive, bits of art.  Some have three.  I just made as many as I could with all the scraps of stuff I have lying around.  A lot of the art came from magazines like Art Journaling; Somerset Studio; Cloth, Paper, Scissors, Teesha Moore’s collage sheets, and all the stamps I’ve collected.  Itty bitty stuff kept safe in my ziplock sandwich bag filing system.

I’ll be posting those Penny Positives in the months to come.

It was a work of love, and I’m excited to give it to her on Friday when we have our monthly session (her birthday is on Halloween).  Megan, my therapist, claims Sarah will cry when she sees it, but I don’t think so.  Since she loves her chickens so much, I think she’s more inclined to cluck.

1. Val Boyko
    Oct 16, 2017 @ 06:56:42

I LOVE this Sandy! Very clever, and very loving. What a wonderful gift 💛

2. Nancy Plagman
    Oct 16, 2017 @ 07:49:08

This is such a cool idea!!! Nancy

Sent from my iPhone

Oct 16, 2017 @ 08:37:25

I love this, Sandy! Brilliant!! It could also be useful to those of us who lean towards the pessimistic side… those “penny positives” really do help to lighten the load and encourage.

4. marandarussell
    Oct 16, 2017 @ 11:01:31

Lovely! I’ve got some lung crud going on too (stupid chronic bronchitis). Making stuff does help.

Oct 16, 2017 @ 12:23:02

Mine is almost cleared up, thanks to helpful recommendations from my chiropractor. She says more protein while we’re sick. Who woulda thought it?
      Be well soon.

5. Catherine Cheng, MD
    Oct 16, 2017 @ 11:01:47

Sandy Sue, how beautiful, creative, loving, and joyous!!! You will make Sarah’s day, year, and life with the thoughtful, heartfelt gift. How lucky for you two to have each other! Sending hugs to you!! 😀 ❤

Oct 16, 2017 @ 13:34:47

I would cry if I were her = that’s a fabulous gift! Really, you are so creative, Sandy. 🙂