Hypomania: The Eye of the Hurricane

After several weeks of mild to turbulent depression, my brain offered up one day of halcyon hypomania.  No slippage into rabbity anxiety or irritation, just a blue sky-mind with energy and focus.

Where the garbage used to be

New Spot for Garbage

I ran errands put off all summer, caught up on chores, oiled the squeaky lock in my door that’s bugged me for seven years, found the new space-saving solutions that had befuddled my depressed brain.

When this perfect combination of mood and drive pops into my life, I know to use it—partly to clean up any mess or stockpiling from the depression that came before, and partly to lay in supplies and prepare for the next storm.  There are the tasks that need to be completed—like grocery shopping, scrubbing the toilet, and scheduling health care appointments—and tasks that can be started so my depression has something to do with itself.

Spruced-up Studio Space

This time I started collaging new storage boxes and painting parts of my studio.  I put together a facilitator’s kit for my SoulMatters group (which meets for the first time this Sunday), and gathered all the materials for a piece of birthday art I’m making for my nurse practitioner.

It was a lovely day.  And as expected, I moved out of that calm center into more stormy weather.

It’s my nature, and I accept it.  Debris and water damage with a smattering of blue sky.

1. BipolarOnFire
    Sep 14, 2017 @ 10:41:20

LOVE the pictures!!! Looks like you have created a beautiful environment for yourself!!

2. Michelle at The Green Study
    Sep 14, 2017 @ 10:48:41

You and I are much the same in regards to the energy of mania – I’ve learned to ride that wave, which is so much better than being swept away by it.

Sep 14, 2017 @ 11:38:27

Your work-space looks great, organized and attractive, and the boxes are tres cool. Good for you for taking advantage of a good day instead of waiting in dread for the next bad day- that’s a great reminder for all of us.

4. Dave Proudfit
    Sep 14, 2017 @ 12:06:17

Great message Sandy. I can relate. Blessings.

5. Roessler, Karen
    Sep 14, 2017 @ 14:28:03

Hello, Sandy!

Your study looks inviting and peaceful. I need to get my garbage can out of sight, so I might have to snag your idea!

Blessings to you as you begin your new class on Sunday. The participants are very fortunate to have you as their leader. I was just telling Cheryl Case how I use the meditation techniques I learned from you during my massages. Your spiritual energy creates many positive vibrations in the universe.

Love, Karen

Sep 15, 2017 @ 07:53:55

I love your work space and organization. I love days of “No slippage into rabbity anxiety or irritation, just a blue sky-mind with energy and focus.” You are such an inspiration, Sandy. 🙂

7. Writer Lori
    Sep 15, 2017 @ 16:56:25

Studio looks great, Sandy! So happy that you were able to enjoy a day of respite.

8. Fish Eye Farm
    Sep 26, 2017 @ 14:34:21

You always amaze me…I really enjoy your writing.

9. marandarussell
    Oct 26, 2017 @ 14:15:19

Great post! I just posted a short piece about hypomania today.