Dangerous Beads and Other Distractions

Bronchitis: Start of Week 4

Sometimes I wonder if the total of my existence is a practice in patience.  The Art of Waiting.  The Zen of Dealing in the Now.  I get so many opportunities.

Anyhoo, this is what I’m up to while I wait for my lungs to clear and my voice to come back.

I found a British detective series at the library starring the 5th Doctor Who (Peter Davison). “Dangerous” Davies is literally the Last Detective his boss would send on a case.  He’s a milquetoast, a butt of all jokes, a kind and gentle copper in a department full of cynical creeps.  I loved it.

I always need something to do at my craft table when I’m sick.  Luckily, the birthday present I made for my therapist took a wrong turn, and I had to rethink it. I’ve been sewing beads for six days now, which is a perfect, mindless activity for a head full of snot.  And I like where the piece is heading.

Before I got croupy, I’d cut squares for a quilted wall hanging.  A friend, who works at a paint/flooring shop, gave me all their upholstery sample books last summer, and I pulled out bits I thought might look nice in my bedroom.  I used a very old scarf of my grandma’s as a focus and built the progression of squares around that.  In my infirmary, I’ve sewn the top together, layered it with batting and a back, and am now ready to start quilting.  I think it will look lovely on my wall.

I’m not journaling much, but I did try something new.  I’ve shifted from paint to organic stuff that stains.  Organics like tea and spices are subtle and leave the paper soft.  Coffee is my favorite.  I make a pot, then take the filter full of wet grounds and scrub it over the paper.  The thin filter eventually ruptures and I leave the scattered grounds on the paper all day.  Sometimes I add a few drops of ink to the grounds for subtle color.

This time I sprinkled sea salt on top and spritzed the pages with water just to see what would happen.  I’m sorta loving the result.

Taking a shower may still zap all my energy, and trying to talk gives me a headache, but I’m doing stuff, which makes me feel less like a zombie.  And it makes waiting so much easier.

1. Val Boyko
    Mar 30, 2017 @ 07:59:54

It sounds like mindful activity rather than mindless Sandy. Just being in the moment … and with all that snot.
    This is a snotty time of year for me as well. May it pass quickly!

2. donnaanddiablo
    Mar 30, 2017 @ 08:21:18

I applaud your industry in the face of illness, Sandy; my instinct is usually to burrow. Get well soon!

3. SickChristine
    Mar 30, 2017 @ 08:39:17

Beautiful work! I hope you feel better soon.

Mar 30, 2017 @ 08:53:49

You’re more creative snot-filled than most of us are clear-headed. That quilt is gonna be gorgeous!

5. Almost Iowa
    Mar 30, 2017 @ 08:59:18

but I’m doing stuff

It looks like you are doing more than stuff, you are doing great stuff.

6. Linda Noel Schierman
    Mar 30, 2017 @ 10:02:44

How fun to mess around with organics and water and your imagination like a free child and even with them in my appreciative hands, I had no idea that you used so much experimentation and weird-resourced material in making your fabulous cards! Sea salt on top of the coffee grounds make that amazing chemical reaction on the right? wow. I wish you clear breathing. xoxoxo

7. tonyroberts
    Mar 30, 2017 @ 11:25:56

I’m reading this as I sit in the waiting room, waiting for my son to have a tonsillectomy. Great timing.

8. Fish Eye Farm
    Mar 30, 2017 @ 11:34:56

awesome ~ like always ~

9. TamrahJo
    Mar 30, 2017 @ 22:35:35

Sorry to hear you are sick – on the other hand, I was just gifted bags and bags of upholstery material (of course, I said yes, I know how to get them into hands that will craft, rather than the landfill….) Can I mail you some surplus supplies (free) for your projects? I’ve ordered cards before, ya should have my email – just send address – and I’ll send some supplies your way – do wash – the material has been stored in storage shed and though protected, it is in need of ‘freshening’ – 🙂 Shades of browns, (from beige to chocolate), green (olive to forest) burgundy and purple stock available – much of it in pieces that would cover chair seat with some trimmin – I’ve been away and had planned on sending you trims/small items for your cards when I sort through my inherited craft crates – BUT! upon seeing this! Want to share the bounty with those I know will put it to good use!!! 🙂

Apr 01, 2017 @ 22:07:39

You are creative and clever to think of organic staining… beautiful work! I hope you breathe better soon.