Tedious Beyond Belief

pink-sad-dog

Others imply that they know what it is like to be depressed because they have gone through a divorce, lost a job, or broken up with someone. But these experiences carry with them feelings. Depression, instead, is flat, hollow, and unendurable. It is also tiresome. People cannot abide being around you when you are depressed. They might think that they ought to, and they might even try, but you know and they know that you are tedious beyond belief: you are irritable and paranoid and humorless and lifeless and critical and demanding and no reassurance is ever enough. You’re frightened, and you’re frightening, and you’re “not at all like yourself but will be soon,” but you know you won’t.

― Kay Redfield JamisonAn Unquiet Mind: A Memoir of Moods and Madness

Oct 01, 2016 @ 11:28:14

I read that book years ago… excellent read. Your artwork is beautiful.

2. Sawsan
    Oct 01, 2016 @ 13:02:24

Truth…

3. Cate
    Oct 01, 2016 @ 14:53:59

This may be the most accurate short-form description of depression I have ever encountered. I read “An Unquiet Mind” many years ago — before I knew depression as well as I now do — and had not recalled this paragraph. Thanks for sharing it.

4. hazelhillboro
    Oct 01, 2016 @ 17:51:21

You’re absolutely right, and I’m sorry that you understand that. I’m sorry that anyone understands that. Also, the art in this post is beautiful.

5. Leslie
    Oct 02, 2016 @ 06:31:38

Wow. That’s really powerful in it’s truth. Thanks for posting.

Oct 03, 2016 @ 12:22:15

“tedious beyond belief” – very descriptive. I didn’t know it was like that.