Westward Ho! Day 15

Kansas City, KS (7:30 AM) to Marshalltown, IA (11:45 AM). 252 miles.
Notables: Total Miles Traveled: 5031.

A short day on the road.  Honestly, I should have planned more of those, but oh well.   Live and Learn.

adultorientalcockroachIt was a frantic start as prehistoric-sized cockroaches scuttled out of the way when I turned on the bathroom light. Okay, I thought, no shower today.

I saw another one—doberman-sized—in the “living room.”  And when I shook out my robe, his bigger brother fell out.

Now, I’m not an insect weenie, generally.  I either squish bugs or catch and release to the outside.  But, this was sort of the Last Straw on my Exhausted Camel’s back.  I packed up in record time (checking to make sure I had no hitchhikers) and got the hell out of Dodge.  Or Kansas City, as it were.

Once I was on the road, I texted my host, said it was too bad we didn’t actually meet (he’d brought someone home with him last night.  You know bachelors.  I didn’t think it was cool to stick my head up from the basement to say hi), and why I bugged out so fast.

In all fairness, he apologized sweetly and gave me a partial refund (Okay, I did sleep in the bed, but really?).

Me&CorvusIn no time, I found myself back in familiar territory.  I stopped at my gas station, took a small token of thanks to The Cat Whisperer, put my valiant Corvus through the car wash, and went home to my boys.

And, of course, there’s a notice on my door that Radar, the bedbug sniffing hound, will be here tomorrow.  Sigh.  There’s no rest for the bug-conscious.

Home HenryBack to Real Life tonight—Chinese take-out, a movie, and purring cats.

It’s good to be home.

1. Karen Roessler
    Apr 10, 2016 @ 17:03:15

Greetings! Greetings! Welcome home, you wayward child!

2. Catherine Cheng, MD
    Apr 10, 2016 @ 17:18:32

Woooo hooooo! 😄 Thank you for sharing this journey with all of us!! And hey, you are totally justified leaving the warrior bugs’ domain to themselves. Bug weenie, teeheehee…😁
    Welcome home!! 😘

3. dostuffdifferently
    Apr 10, 2016 @ 17:19:40

Holy Moly I would’ve died of a heart attack seeing those fellas. Glad you made it home safely!

4. Elaine GREEN
    Apr 10, 2016 @ 18:49:20

Welcome back… I feel like I have been ‘on the road’ for weeks… and loving the scenery.. thanks, sweetie… congratulations

5. kathylou
    Apr 10, 2016 @ 20:35:26

Hi Sandy,
    Glad your home safe and sound.
    Life is full of surprises on the road of adventure.
    Hoping I can travel one day, but for now vicariously with you:))

6. Bradley
    Apr 11, 2016 @ 00:23:17

I’m envious of your journey. I’m glad you had the opportunity

7. donnaanddiablo
    Apr 11, 2016 @ 04:13:49

Welcome home, Sandy! So happy to hear that you’re in safe and sound. What a journey you’ve had, and I enjoyed sharing the miles with you. 😊 As for those bugs, YIKES! I don’t blame you–I would have fled like the wind, too… Ick!

8. Karen
    Apr 11, 2016 @ 07:15:30

Yay!

Apr 12, 2016 @ 14:21:02

Dang… those are some monster bugs! Glad you got a refund and hit the road. It’s a good feeling to be home and back into the groove of being cat mama. I bet the boys were glad to see you… or did you get the cold shoulder? Ha ha!

Apr 14, 2016 @ 09:44:55

Welcome home! Maybe have the bug-sniffing dog sniff out your suitcase and car?