Westward Ho! Day 10

IMG_0503This was my day.  I could do whatever I wanted.  So, of course I woke up at 3:00.

My host, Mary, had suggested I get to Muir Woods early before the crowds (on a Tuesday morning in April?), but I took my time and lounged.  Still I got there a few minutes before the park opened, and the ranger let me in free of charge.  Score!

I don’t know if it was the super-oxygenated air, or the urpy switchback road down to the forest floor, or the incredibly ancient energy, or just kickback from my “special cookie,” but had a little difficulty navigating.  I finally took off my tri-focals, which helped tons.  Watching an uneven path through reading-strength lenses would make anyone trip over the wildlife.IMG_0490

It was cool and dark.  Shafts of morning sun sliced through the canopy, but few reached the forest floor.  A shallow stream burbled along one side of the path.  Birds layered their voices unseen high above.

IMG_0499Whenever a tree was close to the trail, I reached out for it.  Redwood bark is dry and rough–papery.  It reinforced how old they were, these sentinels with their fragile skin.

IMG_0485I stopped at the same bench on the way out and back to sit with a Guardian at my back and meditate.  The cool, scented air. The quiet footsteps of others on the boardwalk trail. The massive presence behind me.  I was there completely.  Grounded.  Alive.

I hiked for about three hours.  After sitting for a week, it felt glorious to move (even if I was a little dipsey-doodle).  I felt the muscles of my legs and back sigh.

Soon enough, more hikers and lookie-loos wandered in.  I heard German and Japanese, Swedish (maybe, Norwegian), Spanish and Russian.  I smiled as one young dad admonished his little boys to “keep your eyes open now.”  What good advice in this place.IMG_0487

I ate lunch in the café; all organic and locally grown delights, shopped in the gift shop, then made my way back to Mill Valley without John’s help.  I found a teeny, tiny Whole Foods, bought fruit and a salad, then camped out on my little deck to play with my journal and talk to the crow fussing in the trees.

A perfect day.

1. Robert@65
    Apr 06, 2016 @ 11:18:15

excellent!

Sent from my iPhone

2. Catherine Cheng, MD
    Apr 06, 2016 @ 11:25:00

Hi Sandy Sue!
    Wonderful post, I felt like I was there with you! “Urpy,” guardian, kickback, dipsy-doodle–you wield words with flair, you! 😀
    May the peace and fullness of the Muir Woods reside within you for a long time to come! xo 🙂

Apr 07, 2016 @ 07:51:35

I bought a little redwood bowl at the gift shop for my meditation space. I’m hoping for JUST that.

• LindaNoel
        Apr 07, 2016 @ 13:17:43

A beautiful little redwood bowl ! It was accessible to hobblers! Trees & their special Air ! We now have plum, and cherry and apple and and and blossoms all over town! I am so thrilled and glad for your journey YOU designed and then go with the flow !

Apr 07, 2016 @ 21:41:55

I bet it smells wonderful there. I love when the lilacs bloom at home. Completely different air.

3. Karen
    Apr 06, 2016 @ 11:53:50

Lovely!

4. Jan Helmich
    Apr 06, 2016 @ 12:39:01

I have been following your posts and have loved them all, but especially this one. A few years ago I visited Muir Woods and hugged a few trees myself!! Beautiful aren’t they?

5. Cheryl LaVille
    Apr 06, 2016 @ 13:39:51

Absolutely lovely.

6. Elaine GREEN
    Apr 06, 2016 @ 20:25:04

gosh, how I love our ‘daily get-togethers’….. you make it feel as though I am standing right with you under the tree canopies….and breathing in the ‘fresh smells of forest’ what a gift.. thank you.

7. kathylou
    Apr 06, 2016 @ 21:03:00

WoW! Almost heaven!
    I really admire your independence and love, love, love the way you describe what you see with your heart. (GB you Sandy Sue)

8. donnaanddiablo
    Apr 07, 2016 @ 03:57:07

So happy that you got to have this experience, Sandy! This place is on my bucket list. Looks like you had picture perfect weather, too. Your Angels are smiling on you… 😌

Apr 07, 2016 @ 08:40:37

You know I would have been delighted in these woodlands you write about. Such a magical place to walk among the giants. I will make it there someday!

Apr 07, 2016 @ 13:02:12

I walked that same walk when I was out there visiting my girls 6 months ago. Isn’t it fabulous? I’m so glad you had a great day of recharging in such a special place.

11. Beatriz
    Apr 24, 2016 @ 12:56:26

Thank you for sharing this wonderful experience, I enjoyed reading this very much. 💗💗💗💗💗💗💗💗💗💗💗💗💗💗💗💗💗