Westward Ho! Day 9

Roseburg, OR (9:30 AM) to Mill Valley, CA (7:00 PM). 462 miles
Notables: Fink’s Time and Distance.

I felt the depression move in like a thunderstorm this morning.  It took forever to sort through my clean clothes, get everything repacked and rearranged.  My body ached and the barometric pressure of my brain thickened like glue.

The night before, Doris and I talked a long time about chronic pain, fibromyalgia, and cannabis.  In Oregon, she’s able to grow and process pot for her own use, which is a complicated affair.  She makes “pot-butter,” an ingredient in therapeutic cookies.  And just like any drug, it took trial and error to determine the right dosage.

I thought about my friend, Duane, who suffers constant, chronic pain as a side effect of his AIDS medications.  He and his husband, Jim, supported the law to make medical marijuana legal in Minnesota.  It’s legal there now, but the process of qualifying, registering, and then paying $300-$500 per month makes it unobtainable.  I thought about Jim cooking up some “pot-butter” in their kitchen and how delicious his cookies would be.

I’ve never thought about trying marijuana for my own pain.  There have been nights on this trip when I could hardly hobble across a room.  I wasn’t thinking about pot before, but I’m thinking about it now.

As I hauled all my crap out to the car this morning, I asked Doris if I could buy some cookies from her.  I didn’t know it was illegal for her to sell it.  When Doris told me that, I felt like so un-street.  And weirdly like an undercover cop.

IMG_0458She pulled a Baggie out of the freezer.  “I’ll give you one, though.”

Then, she went through instructions like my pharmacist.  Only eat half of the cookie.  Don’t eat cookies while driving.  It could take two hours for the cookie to take effect.  Plus a list of possible outcomes.  And another list of cautions.

So, I had my half-cookie about two hours ago.  Feels like I might sleep better tonight.

Oh, yeah.  I also saw Mount Shasta today.

IMG_0436

1. bernecho
    Apr 05, 2016 @ 00:46:10

Next time come north for the best bud, will be legal in the whole country soon but legal for medicinal.

2. Bradley
    Apr 05, 2016 @ 01:44:33

Growing up I was never fond of pot, but have been wanting to try it again for my anxiety since it became legal here in California by prescription. I asked my pdoc about it and he said it was a valid question then changed the subject. Looks like I’m not getting any through him, anytime soon. Wish we could grow it ourselves.

Apr 05, 2016 @ 07:57:28

I’m so ignorant on the subject, and my own prejudices cloud my view even more. I have a lot to learn before I have anything intelligent to say.

3. donnaanddiablo
    Apr 05, 2016 @ 05:18:02

Hey Sandy, So sorry that you ‘hit the wall,’ but sounds like you found some relief as well. With respect to medical cannabis, as it happens I just wrote a story about that. 😌 You might want to look into Ardent Cannabis, http://www.ardentcannabis.com

Apr 05, 2016 @ 07:18:18

There are so many problems and misconceptions about the cannibus plant. Of course like everything, it must be manipulated and controlled by government if there is money to be made. In the state of Oklahoma, attempts at legalizing medicinal pot have been ixnayed by state government. But then you’re talking about a state where our liquor laws are ridiculous. It’s no wonder half the drinking population here bootlegs from surrounding states. And, with Colorado’s easy access to medicinal pot, that too is smuggled in across borders. When people want something, they’ll find ways to acquire it.

Enjoy the trip “home”. There is so much beauty in the landscape this time of year. You need to get back to your boys before they’re totally out of control with the snacks. 😀

5. Leslie
    Apr 05, 2016 @ 11:00:19

The list of what pot can help with is long. Are there are many different strains depending on what you are looking for. Dr. Sanjay Gupta did a really interesting series of reports for CNN that are probably available somewhere, called Weed, Weed 2 and Weed 3 I think. One report per year over three years. A newbie primer. I hope you enjoyed your cookie!

Are you going to post your trip back home as well? I’ve really enjoyed these posts!

6. David Kanigan