Westward Ho! Day 6

IMG_0405I smartened up yesterday, dumped out one suitcase, and loaded it with all the art supplies I need to schlep to classes.  I’d seen other people doing this, so it’s not my brilliant idea.  Just took me a day.

Yesterday’s classes were with painters.  I’ve longed to learn how to use paint since high school (when I flunked art class).  It’s always intimidated me, so I ran through a gammet of expected emotions throughout the day.  It was a challenge to stay present, to breathe, to remember who I was and that I was okay no matter what.  Both teachers were kind, funny, helpful, nonjudgmental.  All that made a challenging day successful.

IMG_0397

Again, these pages are just beginnings; a way to learn techniques and start applying them.  We all wanted weeks to keep working on them.

IMG_0408

In Michael’s class, we started with a wash of paint, then slowly pulled images out of it with repeated layers of wash and white highlights.  This is one technique I want to try again.  It has a spooky, otherworldly quality that I dig in a big way, but couldn’t quite grok in three hours.

IMG_0410

Then it was time for the vendor show.  Half a table turned out to be a lot smaller than I expected, so I ditched my idea of showing my bigger collages and set up my cards as best I could.  My table-mate, Lynn, and her girlfriend, started laughing at my stuff almost immediately, so that helped me settle down and enjoy myself.

IMG_0400

And all I can really say is, “Holy Shit!”  People crowded around my end of the table until Teesha flicked the lights to call quits on the show.  Even then, a couple of new friends hung around, digging through my boxes and exclaiming over details like WW1-era papers and gilding paints.  Compliments bombarded me like little Nerf balls.  I loved telling the stories of cards people chose; This is my grandma… This is my mom and dad…This image came from a 1915 holistic health magazine…  This group of folks loved it.  I was in my perfect venue.

IMG_0398

I started out with four boxes of cards and ended up with two and a half.  I haven’t tallied the take, but let me tell you, it’s much more than I ever expected.  I was in shock when I packed up.

IMG_0403And stinky, sticky with adrenalin.

And my back ached like a son-of-a-bitch.

And What A Day!

1. Leslie
    Apr 02, 2016 @ 09:00:53

Damn! Your’s is great!!! Actually, they are all great. But, for you being nervous about using paint, you did fantastic!

2. Elaine GREEN
    Apr 02, 2016 @ 09:04:52

WAAAAY cool… (:

3. Karen
    Apr 02, 2016 @ 09:50:19

I love, love, love your work! And those painting techniques are so neat. So happy for you!

4. Michelle at The Green Study
    Apr 02, 2016 @ 09:59:44

I’m so delighted for you! It’s wonderful when all that anxiety gets steamrolled by pleasant surprise. You’re going to be so tired at the end of all this, but tired from exhilaration and adrenaline is a happy tired.

5. Catherine Cheng, MD
    Apr 02, 2016 @ 10:03:41

Awesome, Sandy Sue!! So happy for you!! 😄 The photos are so vibrant, and it’s lovely to see your smiling face! 😊 Little nerd ball compliments, yeah! 😆 Have a great weekend! 😘

6. Leslie
    Apr 02, 2016 @ 10:21:16

SQEEEEEEE I am so thrilled for you!!!! Sounds like the show was a roaring success!!!! YAY for you! How’s that for a burst of confidence!

7. Sherry Hotchkiss
    Apr 02, 2016 @ 11:39:35

I’m so glad you are having a great time. Enjoy every moment Sissy!

8. Cheryl LaVille
    Apr 02, 2016 @ 12:02:29

Fantastic, Sandy!! I love the background creation that Michael taught. Thrilled that you sold so many cards!!

9. David Kanigan
    Apr 02, 2016 @ 14:05:55

You MUST travel more often. Your positive energy level is surging!

10. LindaNoel
    Apr 02, 2016 @ 14:42:30

WaaAAAaaAAA Cooooool, Babe, Real Cool (snap fingers)… !

11. bernecho
    Apr 02, 2016 @ 20:08:49

I am so enjoying your journey!!

12. donnaanddiablo
    Apr 03, 2016 @ 06:12:04

What an amazing experience, Sandy!! Thrilled for you!

Apr 04, 2016 @ 21:42:32

I could feel the happiness factor in this post! Great display… and of course I already knew those cards would knock some socks off! You look so happy, and I love those new eyeglass frames (well, they’re new to me) – totally artsy and fun. Sandy, I’m so happy for you… travel really agrees with you!

Apr 04, 2016 @ 22:35:34

I think I’m learning how to travel MY way. I’m not a sight-seer. I want an experience and connections that are meaningful. I’ve learned a lot on this trip about what I need and what I want.

14. Alice
    Apr 27, 2016 @ 12:18:05

woo hoo! I realize your westward-ho adventure has already wrapped — and that I am coming waaaay late to this party — but still, so excited for you and this set of opening-up experiences you are having!