Westward Ho! Day 5

Teesha's Pages

The focus of ArtFest is art journaling.  I’ve tried this a couple of times, even made a few art journals, but never really got into it.  I journal… and I do art.  They come from two different parts of my brain.  Whenever I’ve tried to moosh them together, both parts sort of suffer.

Part of coming out here (aside from loving Teesha’s rubber stamps and, you know, traveling) was to stretch my artsy envelope and embrace art journaling (at least for five days).  I’m with 143 artists who are good at this and six teachers who want to help us do it better, give us new ideas and techniques, and support the artsy life.  My attitude is I’ll Try Anything!  Bring It On!

IMG_0376We have two classes a day with a two and a half hour break between for lunch, rest, and journaling on our own.  Each class is three hours long, which never seems like enough time to do everything we want to do.  The point is not to create a finished piece, but to play around with the cool tools and new techniques, get a journal spread started, then go off later and mess around with it.

Not surprisingly, perfectionism among the ArtFesters abounds, but the teachers keep slicing through that by making us do things fast, sloppy, random, imperfect.  I love it!  Yesterday, teacher Orly Avineri, trooped us all outside with the images we’d made that we liked the least.  We stood in a circle, ripped them up, then released them like confetti with whoops and grunts and whatever non-language noise came from our guts.  Without release, she said, we get stuck.  We can’t continue to wander to the next thing, and the next and the next.  In Artfest’s Superhero pantheon, Orly is Wander Woman.

IMG_0394

IMG_0389After class yesterday, I met up with my new friend, Michelle (brain enthusiast, fan-girl, mystic, potty-mouth) and her Southern California gang for supper.  I was too tired to enjoy their lively conversation about Broadway shows.  Time zone changes, adrenaline, the push of a schedule on the road, the gentle sway of rapid cycling; whatever the reasons, I’d only gotten three hours of sleep at night for too long. I had to skip the beach bonfire last night and for the welcome snug of my bunk.  I fell asleep with the evidence of a day well spent.

Now, with a full eight hours in my sleep bank, I’m ready for another fabulous day with two more of my mixed-media Heros; Andrea Matus and Michael deMeng.  Tonight: The Vendor Show!

1. Karen
    Apr 01, 2016 @ 09:18:43

That sounds amazing!

2. Leslie
    Apr 01, 2016 @ 09:37:53

This sounds fantastic!!!!! I’m sorry you had to miss the bonfire, but at least you are fairly well-rested today and can do more.

What is an art journal?

Apr 02, 2016 @ 08:18:11

Lots of different kinds of art journal styles, but basically it’s just a combination of journaling and art (whatever that means for you). Could be doodling, collage, paint, photographs–whatever. Some folks focus on the art and leave some space for the journaling. Others focus on the journaling and leave space for art. It’s really whatever you want to make with words and images.

• Leslie
        Apr 02, 2016 @ 08:36:04

that actually sounds pretty cool! I have a terrible time when someone says “do this” but then gives me complete freedom as to HOW to do it. But, this sounds cool and I might just give it a little bit of a try.

I hope you are having just the best time! I’m looking forward to hearing about the vendor part of your adventure!!!!

Apr 02, 2016 @ 09:45:55

I hit “Publish” before I got done with this post (I’m so freakin’ tired), so the vendor show is there, too.

3. LindaNoel
    Apr 01, 2016 @ 09:39:33

Marvelous. And I love your description succinctness: “(brain enthusiast, fan-girl, mystic, potty-mouth)”…. When the Way you Write “Gets Me”, I go hmmmmm could I try that, this may be a way to think a wee bit differently so that I don’t go on and one with my too-detailed descriptions..? Anyway, not askin’ for advice or even encouragement — just want to Show you one of the ways I Love Your Writing. Your Art Adventure sounds so SO Marvelous! Thank you so much for sharing it … I mean, how else would I know about this fabulous stuff happening out there that I knee-jerk pooh-pooh at first and then go wow? ! Continued Safe Journey SandySue.

4. Cheryl LaVille
    Apr 01, 2016 @ 10:40:54

I could not be more excited for you! What a grand adventure. I know you’ll soak it all in and wring out what works for you later. Have a grand peepin’ time!

5. Bradley
    Apr 01, 2016 @ 12:29:14

Journaling is something that’s been suggested to me by many, but I have never started one (art journal or otherwise.) It sounds therapeutic and fun.

6. donnaanddiablo
    Apr 02, 2016 @ 05:37:27

Complete artistic immersion! Sounds delightful, Sandy…