Westward Ho! Day 3

Billings, MT (6:30 AM Mountain) to Spokane, WA (4:00 PM Pacific). 542 miles.
Pertinent Tunes:  Throat Culture’s Easter Island.
Audiobook: Audrey Niffenegger’s The Time Traveler’s Wife

This was going to be another full day on the road, and I wanted to get to Spokane early enough to meet my bloggy friend, Linda, before I faded, so I set out before dawn.  Again.

I love that the day worked out just like that.  I love that I’ve been dancing with my bipolar disorder long enough to know what my limits might be and how to bring them into the dance.  I can’t tell you how much I love that.

So, John led me out of Billings under the cover of dark and flurries of snow.  He’s gotten me to every destination with only two hiccups.  Both times he told me to turn around and head back home.  I think I must have accidentally touched the screen, but still, mistakes such as these required proper admonishment and Python-worthy name calling.

runaway-truck-rampSo, properly chastised, he sent me up through the Continental Divide.  No more puny foothills, we were in the Big League today.  We traveled the kinds of roads that required special Runaway Truck Ramps for semis with fried brakes.  And wide places to pull off so one can attach their tire chains.  There we were, switchbacking and trundling along those straining Peterbilts, with snow and low-slung clouds obscuring the peaks.  Ooo, it was an exciting day!

And beautiful.  Majestic.  A complete Jeremiah Johnson experience.  There are no words.  Robert Redford’s “Agh” comes close.

Linda in SpokaneAnd then, it was Spokane, and bright warm sun, and Linda singing to me as she drove up the drive.  We’ve known each other through my blog (and my cards, and Facebook) for years, and finally got to hug and squee like proper girlfriends.  She took me to a little park for a nice walk and the beginning of our non-stop babbling. Three hours later, after a scrumptious Thai dinner and a tour of her home, she dropped me off, still singing.

Such an exciting day.

1. Dee Silbaugh
    Mar 30, 2016 @ 00:29:21

I am so happy that you are so happy. Continue to travel safe.

2. donnaanddiablo
    Mar 30, 2016 @ 04:10:11

Let ‘er rip, Sandy! Looks like you’re having a grand time….

3. Cheryl LaVille
    Mar 30, 2016 @ 06:45:44

Fantastic! Thrilled to hear each enstallment!

Mar 30, 2016 @ 13:18:39

Doing these posts really adds a nice structure to my days. I like having a reason to look for photo ops and think about what the day’s teaching might be. I really do feel Charles Kuralt over my right shoulder.

4. Leslie
    Mar 30, 2016 @ 07:14:45

So amazing. I love that you are able to enjoy your journey so much, and appreciate the different things you are seeing.

Yay for you that you finally got to meet your friend! That’s fantastic and I’m glad you had a great time!

5. LindaNoel
    Mar 30, 2016 @ 17:03:30

I want a Easter Island Head ! Your little videos/audios are so so so ….well, gee whiz, so SandySue, one could not even Guess what you will put where, put together with something else…so cool, and fun to do, too, huh?! I’ve never seen Cleese’s memorial service… Marvelous. And our pix is so cute, just aswe were/are ! xxoxoxox

Apr 03, 2016 @ 21:33:39

What a great photo of the two of you!! I’m so late reading these daily installments, but better late than miss this fascinating trip!!