All Systems Go

Sunday, before dawn, I’ll be on my way to ArtFest and points West.  Just one final checklist to run through.

“Flight Controllers? Give me a Go/No Go for Launch.  Booster…”

We had our glitch yesterday.  Testing a new GPS device on the trip to Des Moines, I left the unit turned off, but plugged in when I went in to my meeting.  Two hours later—dead car.  Controlled hysteria ensued.  But, just like Mark Watney, I got to work.

2011-honda-cr-v-ex-lThe folks at my meeting found jumper cables, and I cancelled two other appointments to hurry home to my mechanic (since I could only hope it was a dead battery).  Even though they were booked solid, Rich, Rose and Jeff at Alley Auto hooked Corvus up to telemetry and determined the battery sound.  Just unplug anything from the USB when the engine isn’t running.  Good to know.

“FIDO…”

TomTom took almost two weeks to determine the problem with a celebrity voice I tried to download to my GPS unit, but now John Cleese is officially telling me where to go.

“Guidance…”

I love how easy it was to book overnight stays at Bed and Breakfasts through Airbnb.  It’s giving the hotels in California such a run for their money, that there’s a new tax on B&Bs there (the bastards).  All the B&Bs along my flight path confirmed and anticipate my arrival with utmost glee.  Or at least they promise not to greet me with a shotgun.

Guesthouse on the Green, Billings, Montana

“Surgeon…”

The sinus infection is nearly done, just a few sniffles and a mostly-baritone voice.  I’m taking my whole medicine chest with me just in case as well as good trainers for those fifteen minute breaks every two hours to walk off any fomenting blood clots or nasty butt boils.  Too graphic?  Just wait.

water“EECOM…”

I’m packing a cooler with lunch supplies, a crate of chips, enough Ramen noodles for two weeks, a bale of bottled water, and everything I need to make my daily Shakeology smoothie.  So, basically my whole kitchen  (Oh, and the seasonal jelly bean or two).

“GNC…”

The wild rapid cycling seems to have slowed the last few days.  Anxiety and mania have mellowed to gentle anticipation. A lot of that has to do with preparation and gnat’s ass attention to detail.  When the car died yesterday, I told my sister I was so glad I tested the GPS unit before Sunday, and that I was thankful Mom taught us to be anal.  My sis texted back, “Yes, it does come in handy.”

audiobooks-200x200“INCO…”

My friend, Ellen, at the library gave me an extension on the dozen audiobooks I borrowed.  Between those, my iPod, and a few additional CDs, I ought to stay entertained.  Since I’ll be driving seven to nine hours a day, I won’t have much time to stop at wayside junk shops, but if one happens to jump in front of me…

Back to Normal 10:10:15

“Network…”

Sue, The Cat Whisperer, will be tending my ground crew while I’m away.  The steely-eyed missile men took to her immediately, and seem to know that she’ll be The Keeper of the Treats.  I’m so lucky to have reconnected with this friend from high school who loves felines as much as I do (and is used to a swampy litter box).

Kuralt-typing-in-his-van“CAPCOM…”

My friend, Cat, loaned me a laptop so that I can pretend to be Charles Kuralt.  My plan is to settle into a comfy B&B each night, cook up a bowl of Ramen noodles, and write a blog post of the day’s excitement On The Road.  I feel very journalistic and savvy since it’s a Microsoft laptop instead of a Mac.

My Butt Itches“Payload…

“I figured the other day that I’d made 87 cards in 81 days.  Since a therapist once told me to eliminate productive from my vocabulary, I’ll just say I’m pleased and amazed at that number.  Some of those cards were special orders or sold on my Etsy shop, but most are going with me.  The vendor show at ArtFest only lasts an hour (Hmmm.  We’ll see about that…), but I’m excited to show my wares and present a funky table display.

“FAO…”

A lot of people helped make this Bucket List Trip a reality.  From Cheryl and Tom loaning me a second suitcase and card displays to my deceased mom leaving me her Honda, I have relied on the kindness and generosity of my clan.  Thank you, everyone.  I am forever grateful.

So let’s go through that checklist one last time.

1. Val Boyko
    Mar 25, 2016 @ 16:08:50

You are ready for lift off!! Have fun 😎

2. Elaine GREEN
    Mar 25, 2016 @ 16:11:54

am jealous….and very excited for you. !! YIPPPPEEE! made me recall my ‘solo’ trips to ‘everywhere’ in the US, taken in the years of 2000-2005… you will remember it for your lifetime…. exhilarating… and sure appears that you have the ‘winds’ at your back.. and wonderful friends sending love and support. ATTA GIRL!! keep the cards and letters coming…. please.. I love you. laney

3. Nancy Plagman
    Mar 25, 2016 @ 16:21:57

Happy trails, have a wonderful time!

4. Penny
    Mar 25, 2016 @ 17:03:43

Safe travels, My Friend!

5. Karen Anderson
    Mar 25, 2016 @ 17:18:50

LOVE THIS! love you. this will be awesome. great energy and feeling good.

6. LindaNoel
    Mar 25, 2016 @ 17:18:54

What a DELIGHTFUL Adventure-Prep Page !
    Substitutes for only Ramen could Happen in Spokane…
    I just used the Apollo Launch Clip to get my butt off the couch and get back to …you know what I’m doing…!
    Henry and Eliott, Henry & Ethan, no, that’s not right, Henry & Emmett! Look so elegant in your Elegant bedroom (what I can see of it).
    Soon soon

7. LindaNoel
    Mar 25, 2016 @ 17:19:34

…and JOHN CLEESE telling you where to go ! Brilliant !

8. Cheryl LaVille
    Mar 25, 2016 @ 18:15:25

Ready! Set! Go! I am so excited for you. Adventures are the best!

9. Nancy of Practically Wise
    Mar 25, 2016 @ 18:54:23

Looking forward to your posts from the road!

10. Karen Lauer
    Mar 25, 2016 @ 20:06:23

Will be thinking of you and wishing you safe and exciting travels!!

11. donnaanddiablo
    Mar 26, 2016 @ 04:59:24

Sounds like you have everything well in hand, Sandy! Hope you and John have a great time on the road. Can’t wait to read your dispatches! Knock ’em dead at the show…. Lori

Mar 26, 2016 @ 08:40:18

Oh I love this vision of you plucking away like Charles Kuralt, giving your on-the-road-report as it happens! What a brave adventure… and best of all, Emmett and Henry will be well-tended to in your absence! I have a feeling those two are going to try to pull a fast one with the treats – you know how kids are when the babysitter comes. 😀 Have a blast!!

13. Leslie
    Mar 26, 2016 @ 09:22:18

I love this post….you are so creative. You’re going to do great at the show…looking forward to reading about your journeys on the open road!

14. Bob Determan
    Mar 26, 2016 @ 09:28:34

Have a safe journey–will miss you in KC!

15. Carolyn Page
    Mar 28, 2016 @ 04:11:39

Bit late on this one! Loved the read. Good luck on the road… 🙂

16. Karen Roessler
    Mar 28, 2016 @ 11:17:31

Seize the time, [Sandy]. Live now; make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again” – Captain Jean-Luc Picard, Star Trek: The Next Generation

Sandy, Jean-Luc Picard would be so proud……………………………Here’s to living now! Karen