I Forgot

Startled AwakeI forgot how hard this is.

Bipolar Disorder.

I forgot how it opens a plug and drains out all the color.

I forgot how it pours sludge into every thought.

I forgot how it grinds the gears of decision-making until they smoke and fail.

I forgot how much courage it takes to put on my coat.

I forgot how much the people who love me can’t stand it either:

I forgot how exhausting their good intentions can be.

I forgot how much I have to fight it.

I forgot how hard it is.

1. Elaine GREEN
    Jan 27, 2016 @ 08:47:04

…. your power is penetrating…. thank you. I love you. laney

2. Karen Roessler
    Jan 27, 2016 @ 08:54:50

Knowing that the color is still there behind the door……………….just waiting for your “bad-ass mama” to surface and kick the damn door in.
    Love you!

3. jinjerstanton
    Jan 27, 2016 @ 11:33:13

I’m so sorry to hear it. I love the card.

Jan 27, 2016 @ 13:32:35

I don’t have any clever words friend… but you’ve got my love. Always.

5. Val Boyko
    Jan 27, 2016 @ 15:15:04

Everything seems so much harder in the dead of winter.
    (Please don’t tell me you are in Australia 😉 )

6. David Kanigan
    Jan 27, 2016 @ 19:44:42

But, yet, you keep firing. And do it so well. You and your post remind me of:

I woke up in pain, facing another day— no project beyond breakfast seemed tenable. I can’t go on, I thought, and immediately, its antiphon responded, completing Samuel Beckett’s seven words, words I had learned long ago as an undergraduate: I’ll go on. I got out of bed and took a step forward, repeating the phrase over and over: “I can’t go on. I’ll go on.”

~ Paul Kalanithi, When Breath Becomes Air (Random House Publishing Group. 2016)

7. Nancy of Practically Wise
    Jan 27, 2016 @ 20:20:19

“drains out all the color,” “pours sludge in”…these are powerful images, Sandy Sue. I read hope here, too…a time when these things were forgotten.

8. SuperMommyofTwins
    Jan 28, 2016 @ 20:15:34

When things have been stable for a while, I forget too. Then reality hits. I love this poem. It really brings things into perspective.

9. Leslie
    Jan 29, 2016 @ 04:11:33

Ugh Sandy…I’m sorry you’re in the muck. It really sucks down here. I haven’t been out of bed for two days. Know that you are not alone!

Jan 29, 2016 @ 15:06:59

So sorry you’re going through this. Sending good thoughts.