De-Lamination

Unexplored CreviceThe word is out—sitting all the time will kill you.  Well, everything eventually kills you, but sitting is the new smoking in terms of health. It all makes sense to me.  I was a nurse once.  I know about circulation and oxygen flow.  But it was lamination that really sold me.

Lamination is what happens to the fat, fascia and muscles of your butt under the heat and pressure of sitting (think glued together and steam pressed).  I wish I could find the You Tube piece that explained it so well, but all I could find was this joker talking about Gibbon-Butt.  He makes a point, though.  Our backsides are not meant to be weight-baring.

I started researching standing desks.  With a desktop computer and a teeny apartment, I needed one adjustable desk, and those suckers cost big bucks.  Units that sit on the desk are cheaper, but I have a teeny desk, so all that scaffolding leaves no work space.  I was stumped. So Get Adjustable Desk became part of my IPR wish list for making my living space better and healthier.

This spring when I visited my nurse practitioner, I noticed her work space.  She had a big, simple adjustable desk with a chair on one end and a treadmill on the other.  She didn’t just stand at her desk, she walked or jogged, which seemed a bit excessive, but good on her, right?  I was more interested in the desk anyway.

Clean lines, simple, moderately priced and from IKEA (I’m partial to Swedish furniture—I used to be married to a Swede.  Some things stick, though are not necessarily laminated in place).  Minneapolis has a big IKEA store.  I often go to Minneapolis to visit friends.  I felt a plan forming.

Desk LowLast week I traveled to said Minneapolis to visit said friends.  I also brought home a desk in three boxes.  Yesterday I put it together (ridiculously simple) and started rearranging the jigsaw puzzle that is my apartment.  I’m shocked that I only have to get rid of two pieces of furniture:  my desk—a sweet little thing that was my first craft work table, and a night stand from an old bedroom set—repainted and pretty, but not very functional.  Everything else got redistributed and refiled (or will be).

I have to be careful with this kind of project.  I tend to purge while manic, and I’m hovering at hypomanic right now.  It would be so easy to get rid of all my crappy, second-hand furniture and just start over.  But, that’s crazy talk, so I will sit (or stand) with this one, new purchase until the fever passes.

Desk HighAlso, my cats are traumatized.  Henry won’t leave my side, and Emmett stays hidden under the bed.  First came the bathroom remodel, then I was gone for five days, and when I came home I brought in Big Things that Made Noise.  We all need a nice run of quiet days to let our nerves settle.

I’m standing at my desk now.  Henry’s taking in the afternoon sun.  Emmett’s still under the bed.  We’ll get de-laminated eventually.

1. LindaNoel
    Jul 22, 2015 @ 17:55:22

Sitting on my laminated butt… hope you find that explanation to post.. you could put it on my fb page, I wouldn’t mind at all. Congrats for figuring it out and getting it ~! I’ve been looking at all my inefficient desk + stuff…. this could be the good answer!

2. Deborah the Closet Monster
    Jul 22, 2015 @ 21:53:43

I’m working as a contractor as a place that’s rolling out adjustable (sitting/standing) desks to everyone, eventually, but for now only to direct employees. They’ll install the adjustable desks for a contractor only if that contractors’ company will foot the bill. As you can imagine, this builds tremendous loyalty to the company. (*cough*) Also as you can imagine, I spent at least a couple of blocks working standing in common working areas. I can feel how terrible sitting is for me, especially now that I’m driving three hours a day. I don’t need to be sitting any longer.

3. Zoe
    Jul 23, 2015 @ 04:09:59

This is pretty neat. I have the sitting desk and then the standing desk thingy — which is basically just one of those adjustable tables for laptops. But this is something I’m definitely going to look into whenever cash permits a desktop purchase. I like this. Especially since I love to dance while I write.

Jul 23, 2015 @ 09:22:29

Cool! I find I’m more likely to go get stuff when I’m standing–files, coffee, whatever–instead of putting it off for “when I get up.” I love it already.

4. David Kanigan
    Jul 23, 2015 @ 04:29:58

Nicely done!

5. Leslie
    Jul 23, 2015 @ 07:42:45

Congratulations!! I can’t wait to get up again after all the foot surgeries. We used to call this phenomenon the “secretarial spread” *smirk*

Jul 23, 2015 @ 08:52:18

Wait, is it adjustable so you can stand or sit? How cool! I’m sniggering at the laminated butt concept, which I’ve never heard, but which I am in danger of succumbing to. I sit all day long at my job, and lately I sit all night long in front of the tube. Can’t seem to get motivated to move at all.

Hope you and the cats are nicely settled down soon.

7. Tippy Rex
    Jul 24, 2015 @ 08:14:09

I’m a huge believer in the power of “move a muscle, change a thought.” My depression can’t seem to catch me as easily if I am a moving target. Enjoy the desk!

Jul 24, 2015 @ 15:41:07

Excellent purchase! I’m like that… I have a definite idea what I’m looking for and the price must be right too. Poor Emmett. I hope he ventures out soon. 😦