Prototype Redux

I’ve never reposted an old post.  I figure I either have something new to say or I don’t.  And if I don’t, then this platform stays quiet until I do.  But Leonard Nimoy died yesterday, and I can’t find new words.  This man/actor/character has been a part of me since Star Trek aired on September 8, 1966.  I was nine years old—impressionable, starving for attention, a little fan-girl waiting to happen.

So, I offer, again, the collage piece I made about him in 2011.  Prototype.  All the images used in this collage are original, pictures I saved from entertainment magazines as old as Star Trek’s first TV Guide cover in 1966.

tiny salute

Protopype

I’m excited to present this finished piece.  It carries so many layers of meaning for me.

As all fathers do, mine created the template for all subsequent relationships with the men in my life.

As a tween, I transfered my longing for attention and protection from my dad to Spock, the ultimate unavailable man.  In my fantasies, I found the secret pathway to Spock’s heart.  Of course he would never demonstrate his affection, never claim me as his, but I knew he would protect me.  It seemed more than I could ever ask for.

My affection for Leonard Nimoy is deep and abiding.  He was, after all, my first.

1. cabrogal
    Feb 28, 2015 @ 22:54:09

It’s weird how real the imagined relationships you have with celebrities can be.

In the early 80s I was pretty stuck on Chrissie Amphlett, the vocalist from The Divinyls. I went to every live show I could catch but it’s not like I even spoke to her or knew anything about who she was as a person rather than persona.

It’d been about thirty years since I last saw her when she died two years ago. When I heard I cried like a baby and couldn’t stop thinking about her for days. For someone I didn’t even know.

Mar 01, 2015 @ 07:45:11

I just read an article in Scientific American Mind that spoke to our fascination with celebrities. They are in our living rooms, in our ears, and in evolutionary terms, part of our tribe. As part of our tribe, we keep track of them, pay attention to gossip about them. I found that kind of a relief actually. I have a Darwinian excuse for being a fan-girl.

Mar 01, 2015 @ 13:28:25

This piece is quite beautiful… what a lovely keepsake.

Mar 03, 2015 @ 18:33:02

I’ve never felt that intense of a connection with a celebrity, but it makes a lot of sense. As you said, they seem to be part of our lives when we see them so often.

Mar 04, 2015 @ 03:33:43

It helps to be a little needy and a little insane.

• pegoleg
        Mar 05, 2015 @ 09:26:27

Just one of the many benefits, eh?

To clarify; although I’ve never felt a very intense connection with a particular celebrity, I still often feel personal loss when one dies – especially if it’s someone I admired as a kid. They really CAN come into our lives and hearts from that screen.

Mar 05, 2015 @ 15:57:28

And that, to me, illustrates connection. Intense is subjective. We create the relationship, make it up. It’s a one-way window. They reflect ourselves back to us.