I Knew What Was Coming

I bought my ticket in advance.  I put on lipstick.  But I knew what was coming.

Thorin BoFAThe Hobbit has been one of my favorite books since I was in junior high.  I wrote my Senior Thesis on Tolkien.  I’m in love with Richard Armitage.  But I knew what was coming.

Everyday for the last few weeks, I’ve whipped from depression to hysteria.  I wondered, since I knew what was coming, if going to the movie now was wise.

But, I went to the premiere last night and sat in a full house of other Tolkien geeks who cheered and wailed along with me. Because we knew what was coming.  And it was glorious.

And as an additional kick to the emotional gonads, Billy Boyd (Pippin from The Lord of the Rings) sings the theme song.  In this YouTube piece, his song overlays all six of the movies Peter Jackson crafted from The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings along with behind the scenes moments.  Those are mostly of the cast and crew saying their own farewells.  Excuse me while I go get another box of Kleenex.

1. Car
    Dec 17, 2014 @ 09:45:58

Missed you this morning! !

2. blahpolar
    Dec 17, 2014 @ 10:40:01

Ahhhh lovely. I’m a big Tolkien fan too.

3. Patricia
    Dec 17, 2014 @ 15:49:59

*sniff* ❤

Dec 17, 2014 @ 17:13:02

I read The Hobbit in junior high, but could never get through the trilogy – all that teeny, tiny print and page after page of description defeated 13-year-old me. But I know what you mean about the pain of saying goodbye to a book or movie series. They become friends, don’t they?

Be strong, Sandy. There’s always DVD.

5. jeannem441
    Dec 18, 2014 @ 12:23:42

Reblogged this on jeannem441.

6. Trackback: Collection of some of our fellow fans’ reviews of The Battle of the Five Armies | Me + Richard Armitage
  7. Peggy Kincaid
    Dec 23, 2014 @ 20:51:59

You know I expected to feel more and I didn’t. The most emotional scenes I felt were when Bilbo found Thorin dying and tried to save him. I also was touched by the scene with Killi and Tauriel and the way Legolas handled it and his father. I’m not sure I bought Thranduil’s looking downcast when Legolas confronted him but I guess I just knew the story as we all did otherwise and for me it didn’t pack the wallop I expected. That isn’t saying that I didn’t like it. I intend to see it again and I certainly intend to buy the DVD. Maybe it was all the action that made it hard but despite not being overwhelmed I thought it was an amazing film. Can’t wait to see the extended version as well.

Dec 24, 2014 @ 10:24:46

I had forgotten that Thorin redeems himself (it’s been a while since I read the books), so that and the fact that he dies so well made the movie for me. And then the reminder of what’s to come for The Fellowship and Frodo. So much sorrow in the books and movies.