Alrighty, Then

Gee, You Look Old

You’re minding your own business, washing your hands at the bathroom sink, when you look up in the mirror and freeze.  Is that really what I look like now?  Holy Methuselah, Batman!  You lean in, touch the flesh, pull it tight, let it flop back into place.  You bare your teeth.  That’s not the color I remember.  Leaning into the sink gives your back a twinge, but get close and look into the eyes (not the bags around them).  You see something familiar.  Blink.  Look again.  Ah, there I am.

With a deep breath, you can straighten up.  And Ace Ventura comes out of your mouth:

1. Maggie Wilson
    Sep 18, 2014 @ 07:28:07

… been there

2. Kitty
    Sep 18, 2014 @ 07:45:11

Happens to the best of us. Aw, well, onward through the fog…

Love you, Sister!

3. TamrahJo
    Sep 18, 2014 @ 09:18:50

Fantabulous! You always make me laugh and boy did i need it this a.m.! Thank You! 🙂

4. Servetus
    Sep 18, 2014 @ 10:07:28

it’s like there’s an additional extra depression-related penalty to one’s teeth. I feel you.

5. Dee Silbaugh
    Sep 18, 2014 @ 12:06:37

Scary when that happens. But I would rather see myself in the mirror than see a photo of myself. When I see a photo, I think, “Surely, I don’t look that bad”. BTW, how are you feeling?

6. radiatingblossom
    Sep 18, 2014 @ 19:13:07

Hahahahahaha…so funny, Sandy Sue.

7. LindaNoel
    Sep 19, 2014 @ 07:02:29

Hah hah hah. A different kind of perspective: Human experience B4 glass and mirrors — water reflections? B4 photographs — the ongoingness of living without THAT close frozen-in-time physical scrutiny. We have exact moments of our Past to look at ! This is bizarre…but of course we are used to it. BTW I was so stunningly beautiful, it is now (66 yrs) so relaxing to have my face distorted somewhat, When I’m “down”, oh my, Defeat and Disgust emanate from my visage — shock me in window reflections. But when I’m “up”, my dazzling Life-Essence can’t help but attract attention. 😉

Sep 19, 2014 @ 08:21:22

I keep trying different creams on my skin, but so many are heavy which brings on the hot flashes… hell, we’re just doomed kid. I’m just rolling with the punches!

Sep 20, 2014 @ 12:29:50

You’re so right, Sandy. You go along with life, feeling just the same as you always did, then a random glimpse of the external you brings reality crashing in.

10. Sherry
    Sep 22, 2014 @ 19:13:53

I remember the first time I looked in the mirror and saw Mom’s legs attached to my body.