Goals for the Next 30 Days: Work on My Bucket List

Bucket List

One of the exercises Dan, my counselor in partial hospitalization, gave me was to write my Bucket List.  It was supposed to be 100 items long, but mine was only 8.  I promised him I’d keep adding to it, but these were the things that meant the most to me.

1. I want a new, preferably hybrid, Smart Car.
  2. I want to move to the Southwest.
  3. I want to spend at least 3 months in the United Kingdom.
  4. I want to work as a Peer and get paid what I’m worth.
  5. I want to travel to meet my blog friends in person.
  6. I want to have sex with a decent man once more before I die.
  7. I want to finish Technical Consultant and get it published.
  8. I want to lose 100 pounds.

When I gave Dan my list, he asked why I hadn’t done these things yet.  We talked about obstacles.  We talked about breaking each item into tiny steps.  We talked about opening up to the possibility of getting what I want.

It’s a powerful exercise.  Mental illness can make a person collapse in on oneself.  We fall down Maslow’s Hierarchy of Needs and cringe in the basement.  It takes some work and a little courage to rise up and open out.

The Crucible PosterOne day after being discharged, I was trolling my Pinterest feed and saw a notice that made me moan.  Richard Armitage  (he of The Hobbit fame and inspiration for my novel) would be playing John Proctor in a new stage production of The Crucible at the Old Vic Theater in London.  My initial thought was, “Oh, man!  I’m on the wrong continent.”  Then, I heard Dan’s voice in the back of my head.  Is it possible?

I actually started to consider it.  My Visa debt was almost paid off.  I learned how to do that.  I could do it again.

So, I dug in my closet for my old passport.  I sat there staring at it a long time, then I emailed my blog friend, Evelyn, who lives an hour west of London in Newbury.

What do you think?  I asked her.  Am I crazy?

Her answer was an itinerary of all the things we’d do if I came to see her.

Earl's Court StationIt’s been a little over a week since that email exchange.  I’ve sent in my passport renewal.  I’ve booked my flights and hotel (a sweet-looking B&B in Kensington around the corner from Earl’s Court Tube station).  I’ve purchased my Crucible ticket (The Old Vic is in the round, and I’m front row left.  I figured if I’m flying to London to see Richard on stage, I’m damn well going to see the blues of his eyes).  And my prepaid Oyster card came Fed Ex today, otherwise should call them via number-finder.co.uk myself.

It will be a short trip—arriving in London on September 2 and leaving on September 4—but I’m thinking of this as my first trip to the UK.  I want to see Richard and Evelyn.  I want to learn how to use the Tube system and how to take the overland train out of London to find my friend in another city.  I want to be able to pay for something with British coins and not fumble around.  That will be enough this time.  Oh, that will be just fine.

Everyone I’ve talked to has been joyfully supportive—from my therapist, who wanted me to stay longer, to my mom, who giggled when I told her.  Evelyn sends me regular brainstorms.

And as I pour over Google maps, I send Gratitude to Dan for posing the question.

Is it possible?

Needless to say, I’m on an Adventure.

1. Servetus
    Jun 11, 2014 @ 20:04:13

Wow — very excited for you!

2. Servetus
    Jun 11, 2014 @ 20:04:33

Reblogged this on Me + Richard Armitage and commented:
    Another fan’s decision-making process described!

3. Cat Campbell Currier
    Jun 11, 2014 @ 21:11:37

It IS POSSIBLE! !!

4. Karen
    Jun 11, 2014 @ 21:49:07

AAAWESOOOOME!!!!!!

5. susiederkinssd
    Jun 11, 2014 @ 22:14:42

Yay for you! (Sorry, don’t mean to butt in here; your post was linked from Servetus’ blog, whom I follow) I’m so excited for you and you’ll love London. I’ve been quite a few times (I live in California) and it’s special each time. And my friend and I will be going again, to see Richard in The Crucible, but just as you are leaving London (we’re there Sep 4-7).

But the reason I’m butting in 🙂 is because of the neighborhood you chose to stay in: Kensington/Earl’s Court is the neighborhood my friend and I have stayed in for our last few visits and will be staying again in September (we always stay at The Nadler). It’s a great neighborhood to stay, particularly because of that street in the photo you posted, Earls’ Court Road (or the high street, as the locals call it). Everything you could possibly need is on that street: lots of restaurants/pub/cafes, a couple of grocery stores (M&S and Sainsbury), a Boots pharmacy, banks and ATMs, a post office, and so much more. Though Earl’s Court Road is busy and noisy, most of the hotels and B&Bs are away from the high street, on quieter and less crowded streets, all within easy walking distance. And as you see in the pic, the tube station is right there; and it’s the Piccadilly line, which is a major line, and as you may have figured out, runs directly to and from Heathrow, and will connect you easily to the other tube lines and the rest of London.

Sorry for rambling, but I’m just so excited for you! You are doing the right thing and you won’t regret it. And I’m sure it will be just the first of many trips to London for you!

Jun 12, 2014 @ 05:15:16

I LOVE people who butt in! Jump in any old time.
      Yes, I’ve plotted my Tube connections already to all the places I need to go. So much fun in the planning. I’m staying at the City Continental, which is down one of those side streets. All the little hotels lined up like row houses.

So glad you visited, and also chose to keep following. I’ll look forward to your review when you get back.

6. Helen
    Jun 12, 2014 @ 01:50:18

What a great story. Hope you have a wonderful time – I’m sure you will 🙂

7. Moss Piglet
    Jun 12, 2014 @ 05:45:53

Sooo looking forward to you coming x

8. Maggie Wilson
    Jun 12, 2014 @ 06:55:13

LOVE this! It’s happening so easily… on the right track, Sandy Sue!

9. radiatingblossom
    Jun 12, 2014 @ 10:09:54

Oh my gosh! I wanna be YOU! 🙂

10. TamrahJo
    Jun 12, 2014 @ 12:08:06

How Exciting! and, since you’re front row left, maybe, if you wink just right, you could take care of #6 this trip, too – – LOL

Jun 13, 2014 @ 08:24:29

Oh goody!! You know I believe in signs… and definitely, this is ONE GREAT SIGN!! T-totally excited for you! 😀

12. docrob50
    Jun 13, 2014 @ 23:28:16

Well my first reaction to this delicious news was to giggle like your mom or sort of maybe. Then I thought to tell you Durango is a very special little town and you would find and be found by good and deeply caring and mindful folk and then of course there is me and my muddled sort of ways and my wife with whom you would have much in common……

Jun 14, 2014 @ 07:24:33

One of my first steps will be to revisit the Southwest since I haven’t been back since 1992. Little jaunts (like how I’m approaching England), exploration, and seeing if I still love it like I think I do. You can bet Durango will be part of the plan.

13. docrob50
    Jun 13, 2014 @ 23:29:01

oh yeah and that Durango is in the geographical heart of the Southwest

14. Trackback: The Family Bucket List | In the head of a single mom…