Seekers Find

Temporal Map

I’m starting to notice a pattern.  Whenever I reach critical mass with my bipolar symptoms and seek additional help, something wonderful happens.  Is it the Universe putting things in balance?  Do I open up to a wider definition of “help”?  Is my distress signal amped to a new frequency?  Or is it that I’m surrounded by more professionals with more resources and more ideas?  Maybe it’s just coincidence.  Or maybe I need to quit over-thinking it.

After being in partial hospitalization this past week, I got a call from my mental health clinic at home.  They will be developing a Peer Support program and asked the Nurse Practitioner and therapists if they had any recommendations for candidates.  My name came up.

So, I met with the team yesterday.  They’re still not sure what to do with Peer Support—the mandates are purposely vague to let providers plug Peer’s into a variety of roles—but they have some ideas.  It was fun to thrash those around with them.  I was honest about being in treatment now and my anxiety about returning to work.  But I think I presented myself well as a professional with skills.  I felt welcomed and respected.  It was a positive experience.

They have a lot of work to do—more candidates to interview, decisions to make.  It will probably be a few weeks before I hear from the committee again.  That’s fine.  The seed is planted.  What I need to do now is concentrate on my own Work—attending the outpatient sessions at Mercy during the week, meeting with the counselor assigned to me there (my buddy, Dan, who got me started on this Peer Support path in the first place), doing the homework assignments, watching my resistance and my anxiety.  A new rhythm will develop.

As a Trekker, geek fan-girl, and spiritual renegade, this convergence feels like the Laws of Attraction and Vibratory Resonance in action.  That comforts me.  But, it doesn’t really matter what’s at work here.  All that matters is that Opportunity Happens when I ask for Help.

1. Dee Silbaugh
    May 10, 2014 @ 08:11:52

Sounds like you are doing better and I hope your progress continues. You would be such a valuable asset to the support group. Good luck with that. Peace..

May 11, 2014 @ 10:48:50

A positive post Sandy. It seems such a simple thing to ask for help, but often the initial thought escapes me. I’m happy things seem to be on more of an upswing for you. Good work, my friend.

May 11, 2014 @ 15:49:11

I tried not to completely bottom out this time before going to the team of professionals. I keep thinking I have no pride left, but that’s hooey.

3. Kitty
    May 11, 2014 @ 11:56:36

Amen, Sister. “Ask and it shall be given.” But so often we don’t ask. So glad you are on the upswing.

May 11, 2014 @ 15:48:06

Mood-wise, I’m the same. It makes such a difference to have someplace to go every day where we talk The Work. So even if I still feel funky, I can Practice.

May 12, 2014 @ 12:21:03

I’m glad to hear you’re holding your own. Good luck with the peer support gig – sounds great as long as it’s what YOU want, and not something that piles pressure on you.

5. radiatingblossom
    May 13, 2014 @ 20:41:09

Thanks for sharing this hopeful news Sandy Sue…I’ve been thinking of you.