Focus on Gratitude: Day 8

iPodI know I gush about music.  It is truly one of the things that makes my life worth living.  When I bought an old-sytle iPod a couple of years ago, it was like winning the lottery.  I made a little carrier for it out of old socks and a shoelace so I could have my music everywhere—on my walks, in the truck, at the movies during that awful pre-show junk.  I sling that thing over my neck and rock.

But the most important part about carrying my music around is being able to sing along with it.  I’ve been told I have a fair voice, but even if I sounded like a chainsaw, I’d still belt it out with Adele and Bonnie Raitt.  It makes me feel good.  Singing pulls in oxygen, much like exercise.  It releases endorphins.  It’s a natural anti-depressant.  I firmly believe I started singing as a youngster to self-medicate.  Hells, yeah.

Yesterday, I felt like crap.  I’m at that point in a long bout of lung crud where there’s a kind of relapse—laryngitis, hot and cold flashes, endless coughing, general body funk.  So I went to see Desolation of Smaug again to cheer myself up a little.  As the credits rolled, everyone left (Cretins!  How dare they not stay to see who the Scenic Artist Foreman was!), and Ed Sheeran’s theme song started.

Alone in the theater, I sat up and belted it out in my croaky voice (because, of course, I have the song memorized).  When Ed hit the chorus, “I see fire…” I was on a roll—harmonizing and warbling, getting all those endorphins flowing.  And when the song ended, I sighed in contentment.

I looked over to get my coat and saw a man standing at the end of my aisle—mouth open.  He slowly lifted his hands and applauded.

Hells, yeah!

1. Michelle at The Green Study
    Dec 19, 2013 @ 07:54:01

This sounds like something that would happen to me – usually when I’m caught dancing. Rock on, Sandy!

2. Servetus
    Dec 19, 2013 @ 12:08:28

Reblogged this on Me + Richard Armitage and commented:
    I think I’m going to try this soon — this sounds like a great idea! Maybe someone will even sing along. [comments there]

Dec 19, 2013 @ 20:50:34

An Unexpected Journey lasted in our theaters until May. One other middle-aged woman and I went to that last showing and belted out Misty Mountain together. BFFs for a moment in time.

3. Hope Happens
    Dec 19, 2013 @ 12:18:53

Love it! Lucky guy, and at least he was wise enough to appreciate you!

Here’s to continued recovery ~

Take good care,

Monica

4. Joanna
    Dec 19, 2013 @ 15:45:23

Just a one week..one more week and I will be singing out loud with Ed Sheeran .:)

Dec 19, 2013 @ 20:47:32

Oh, cripes! Where do you live, girl?

• Joanna
        Dec 19, 2013 @ 22:34:55

I’m from Poland.

Dec 20, 2013 @ 05:02:00

Shame on your theaters! That’s all I have to say. Well, no, I also want to say that I love that you came to visit me. And I wish I could come sit in the theater with you so we could sing at the end together.
        Have you been able to keep from reading and looking at all the spoilers? What am I saying? Nothing can spoil that movie.

5. Marie Astra
    Dec 19, 2013 @ 18:31:05

That’s the way to do it!! I love singing too, but I never thought about endorphins. That makes a lot of sense! Love your Gratitude series!

6. Jeff Peters
    Dec 20, 2013 @ 08:57:42

Hilarious! I have an awful singing voice, so I try to sing only in my head where I sound much better.

7. barb allison
    Dec 20, 2013 @ 12:34:32

I applaud too! I love the way you live. So much to sing about.