Focus on Gratitude: Day 1

mug 2Dealing with my second bout of bronchitis this autumn, I didn’t have much else to talk to my therapist about yesterday.  I was in basic survival mode—fluids, rest, Robitussin—and not thinking much about how physical illness usually leads to an eventual bipolar swing.  I’d deal with that when the time came.

But Megan asked me what I was doing to take care of my mental health as well as my physical wellbeing.  I held that question as I went home to bed.  And it rose with me when I got up in the middle of the night to de-snot.  I filled my pretty, new mug with chai and sat down to check email.  Gosh, I love this mug.

And I realized, that’s it!  All these small treasures that take on so much more meaning when I’m sick, all these morsels of gratitude—that’s what I should focus on.  So, that’s where I’ll point my thinking and my posts until the wheezing stops and the fever breaks.  And if this trail of grateful bread crumbs leads me through the next mood swing, all the better.

So let me tell you about this mug…

I found it on sale last week at Pier One.  I hadn’t been inside a Pier One in at least seven years.  With no money to fritter away on pretties, I don’t shop for the sake of shopping.  Nor do I give gifts at Christmas anymore. But last week I could feel the cold coming on, and I was hungry for beauty.   Gift shops can be dangerous to those of us with compulsive spending tendencies, but I thought I could take a chance this once to feed my soul.

I let myself spend $3 on this cheerful, nubby mug, which has turned into my constant companion.  It holds my chai and my soup.  It follows me from desk to chair to bed with warm comfort and a happy face.  It feels good in my hands.  It’s a little placeholder for abundance and luxury when I feel so depleted.

Such a small thing, but what a lift it gives me.  It makes me wonder—what little things in your life give you that boost?  Things your eye slides over or things you reach for without thinking?  I would invite you to pause a second today and notice.  And if you’ve a mind to, let me know what happens.

Dec 11, 2013 @ 17:46:13

Oh my goodness Sandy! You made me realize the pure joy and comfort I get from reaching for a certain coffee mug, or a comfort food, my favorite reading glasses, my chosen antique quilt for warmth, or my worn and comfy slippers… things I just grab, but seldom think about the healing qualities they provide! Thank you so much for riveting me back to the point of noticing what I seek for healing! Excellent post!

2. Michelle at The Green Study
    Dec 11, 2013 @ 17:56:26

Fuzzy socks over mint lotioned feet are my end-of-the-day and when-I’m-sick comfort. Taking care of my feet is my nod of honor to them for carrying me all day long, so while it is a comfort, it is also a show of gratitude.
    Hope you recover from this latest bout of illness soon, but until then, I wish you warm, comforting mugfuls of wellness.

Dec 12, 2013 @ 04:35:20

Oh, I love this. I have a special lotion from Bath and Bodyworks (Sensual Amber) that I use in much the same way. Hmm. That’s probably the next post…

3. TamrahJo
    Dec 11, 2013 @ 19:35:13

I’m grateful for my $4, clearance-aisle, BATS mugs (Big A** Tea or Soup) – I was looking for a mug a week after my son died and my last special mug bit the dust – I always figured he had helped me to find them. Glad you have a happy mug, too and hope you feel better soon.

4. bpnana
    Dec 11, 2013 @ 22:48:26

Sandy Sue, I hope you get better soon! I’m wheezing, too. My asthma’s back so bad I’m using my inhaler every day! Not knocked out cold yet. I’m staying inside to prevent a second bout. My little Sammie isn’t a thing, but she sure gives me lots of smiles and lifts my spirits. And she goes everywhere with me, so I’m grateful for her!

Dec 12, 2013 @ 04:30:36

Is it frigid where you are? That always makes asthma so much worse. And I’m guessing Sammie is a four-legged? Of the canine or feline variety? What would we do without our animal friends?

• bpnana
        Dec 12, 2013 @ 14:13:55

We have a moderate climate here. It never snows but it gets cold enough to wear heavy coats, hats, & scarves.
        Sammie is my cha-weiner (half chahuaha, half dachshund doggie. She is my sunshine! You can see her picture at my wed site, Feeling better?

Dec 12, 2013 @ 16:31:32

Is that like mini-weiners? Gaah! That sounds adorable! My fever broke today, so hoping for clearer lungs soon. Believe me, nothing will keep me from the theater tomorrow for The Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug!

• bpnana
        Dec 13, 2013 @ 13:03:02

Yes, but Sammie (that’s an alias!) doesn’t have a long snout so she looks like a perennial puppy.! Her front legs are longer so she can jump on the bed without help! Good dog for people with allergies to long haired dogs. She’s my constant companion. Boy, does she help my depression! She’s a winning mini- cha-weiner Have fun at the Hobbit-fest!

5. Moss Piglet
    Dec 12, 2013 @ 05:41:52

I’m holed up in bed with a sore “good” hip & arm muscle wrenches…I love to look around my bedroom and see all my clutter, but the biggest joy is my little Netbook Laptop, window to the outside world and friends like you x