True Numbers

handmade greeting card, collage art

# # #

Yesterday, the number of subscribers here topped 400.  That’s pretty cool, considering how specialized this blog is.  As Peg of Peg-O-Leg’s Ramblings said of A Mind Divided,  “OK, OK, I know what you’re thinking, but don’t run away – it’s not like that.   There’s anguish there sometimes, but usually it’s leavened with humor.”

Folks come to their blog readers to be entertained, to be uplifted, to share their interests and passions.  Falling down a mental illness rabbit hole is probably not on their List of Things to Do for the day.  So, I get what a chance Peg took in inviting me be a guest writer on a humor blog.  And why she had to verbally bar the doors to keep her readers from bolting.  Insanity is an acquired taste.

Like everyone else who blogs, I look at the numbers.  When I was submitting artwork to Illustration Friday, I had more viewers—other artsy folk dropping by to see my work.  I haven’t submitted for a long time, so of course those views dropped.  Simple cause and effect.  And then Kana over at Kana’s Chronicles taught me how to add secret tags to my photos and artwork.  Again, a lot more views, but probably by people looking for gossip about Robert Downey Jr, not fan fiction about The Avengers.  But I figured traffic was traffic and, maybe, one of the Trekkers passing by might stick around.  Not that we Trekkers are nut-jobs… necessarily.

Over the past year, I’ve noticed that most of my new subscribers are either selling something, or maintain sites in Farsi or Urdu (which means they’re probably selling something), or don’t have any content (which is a little creepy).  Darla at She’s a Maineiac noticed this trend, too, so I didn’t feel singled out.  Swarmy seems to be upping everyone’s readership.  Another reason not to take numbers too seriously.

And yet, this 400 number has heft.  Maybe it’s because of all the thoughtful, intelligent and truly kind people I’ve met on this blog.  There are enlightened beings on this planet, and many of them check in here from time to time.  Maybe it’s because popular blogs have thousands of subscribers.  I know that makes no sense, to compare my numbers to theirs.  But a person really has to want to come here and wade through my craziness.  I found a niche and a few others found it, too.

So, what’s the big deal about hitting 400 readers?  Nothing really.  It’s just a number inflated by all kinds of unmanageable fluff.  The big deal is you.  And I thank you from the bottom of my bloggy heart for taking a chance with this site and sticking around.  For being one of my true numbers.

1. David Kanigan
    Jun 08, 2013 @ 07:00:04

The Big Deal is actually YOU. Period.

2. Michelle at The Green Study
    Jun 08, 2013 @ 07:09:41

I think there’s something to the tried and true movie cliche “Build it and they will come.” There are a lot of bloggers who really dig into traffic opportunities and participate in the blogging community – they’ve got huge numbers.

It’s taken me a while to realize if I just focus on the writing, my writing, the readers who stick around are the ones who want to be there. Much is the same with your blog. I relate to so much of what you write about. As heavy as things get sometimes, you have a great survivor’s instinct and a sense of humor which makes you enjoyable to read. Congrats on your readers. Sincerely, a true number.

Jun 08, 2013 @ 07:26:44

Thanks, Michelle. We all come to this blog stuff with different intents and motivations. I really respect the folks who get out there and work it, but know that’s not for me. So I can marvel from afar.

Jun 08, 2013 @ 09:59:13

I come here because of you! You inspire me… keep me sane… and sometimes give me insane humor, which I desperately need! You always seem to know what I need to hear.

Daisy deer is about the only reason I get traffic. And, it’s not about attention from numbers for me. I look at my blog… my work, and I think Daisy must give people something… sometimes just marvel and miracle, but sometimes deer medicine that gives something good to people. It’s a feel good for me to know people are amazed by a little deer… a little deer who came here to show humans something they desperately need – communication with nature.

4. TamrahJo
    Jun 08, 2013 @ 11:41:57

I’ve been getting a lot of traffic from those on the Project A.W.O.L. train – some of them have fabulous, creative content and some, not so much – – I appreciate all visits, but when I go to a blog, I want to read or view about that person and their interests – not a page full of reblogs/videos that if I cared, I could search YouTube for – –
    Thus, I LOVE IT HERE!

🙂

5. Snoring Dog Studio
    Jun 09, 2013 @ 08:14:07

I come here because of you and your life experiences. You have things to say about the human condition and what it takes to slog through life sometimes. Glad I found you.

6. Kana Tyler
    Jun 09, 2013 @ 08:36:04

“Insanity is an acquired taste”… I’m literally laughing out loud! No wonder you & I get along so well—we joke that at our house, “Normal” is just a setting on the dryer! 🙂 Hugs, Kana

Jun 09, 2013 @ 20:12:09

Congratulations on hitting 400! I’m delighted to have made friends with you, Sandy. And just because a reader sells knock-off designer handbags, doesn’t mean they aren’t really reading, right? Right?

8. ManicMuses
    Jun 10, 2013 @ 08:29:26

Hey, 400 *is* a big deal. You are one of my original ‘subscriptions’ and I just keep comin’ back. Again and again. And, again. Sick of my stupid comments yet? ‘Cause I ain’t leavin’. Love your blog – love you, too!

9. Jonathan Caswell
    Jun 11, 2013 @ 21:52:32

You’d be surprised….well, maybe not now….how many are willing to learn and become more compassionate!!!! 🙂

10. Jonathan Caswell
    Jun 11, 2013 @ 21:53:23

Reblogged this on By the Mighty Mumford and commented:
    I’M NOT SURPRISED!!!!

11. L. Palmer
    Jun 13, 2013 @ 14:43:53

Congratulations on reaching 400.
    I too often look at my follower-feed and wonder how many are real, living, breathing people, and how many are spam. I like to believe most of them are actual human beings.
    All that being said, 400 is exciting.