My Cyber Life

handmade greeting card, collage artThese days, what with my Zero Money Initiative in place, I spend most of my time at home on my computer.  And I’m finding a whole new life there.  It’s Pinterest, really, that’s sucked me into this Ether World.  I’ve found dozens of Pinners who share my interests.  And since my taste wanders all over the place, there’s a lot to keep me enthralled.

There are the nerdy fan-folk—the Tolkein aficionados, the Trekkers, the Joss Whedonites.  I’m in Nerd Heaven, wandering through all the rare photos, video clips, jokes and articles about my TV shows and movies.  There are the science puns, and inside jokes, and cross-over weirdness that combines Star trek with Firefly and Sherlock Holmes.  My geekiness runs rampant.

Battle Cry, The Hobbit, Thorin OakenshieldThen there are the serious armies of movie star fans.  Any male actor, living or dead, generates a plethora of appreciation (Female stars get plenty of attention, too, just not so many shirtless photos or comments about fainting).  Here, I have found my obsessive/compulsive, delusional tribe—women all over the globe tipping the scale from fan to stalker.  I breathe a little easier knowing I’m far from the craziest end of the spectrum here.  I’m actually rather refined and discriminating in my male appreciation.  Tasteful, even.  Ahem.

sheep, IrelandI can explore my love of Ireland and dream about going there by connecting with Pinners who are either from Ireland or who have shared their vacation photos.  I can listen to the music, meet infamous sons and daughters of the Eire, and learn the country’s history.  All the beautiful sites, the people, the festivals—they let me taste of the Emerald Isle while I scheme about how to get there.

endangered species, animalsThen, there are all the boards devoted to nature—weird and gorgeous wild animals; amazing forests, rock formations, fauna and flora.  There are Pinners gathering information on preservation, animal abuse, conservation, and every aspect of green living.  I’m constantly amazed, shocked, inspired and delighted by all these lovers of the world.  I can indulge in my love of elephants and skunks.  And there’s no end to the folks who love cats—great and small.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer, TV, Joss WhedonMy cyber and material worlds are starting to mix, now.  I’m spending more time at the library searching for things I saw on Pinterest—books on visiting Ireland and England, movies like “War Horse” that I thought I’d never watch (but found out Tom Hiddleston/Loki  and  Benedict Cumberbatch/Sherlock Holmes are in it).  I picked up the first season of “Buffy the Vampire Slayer” to watch some early Joss Whedon, and checked out a great mystery novel by Tana French on a Pinner’s recommendation.

I’ve heard Pinterest described as a horder’s dream come true.  A person can collect all their favorite stuff without taking up any space (or creating those scary towers of books, papers and clutter every proper psycho-killer’s home requires).  But, for me it’s gone beyond that.  Yes, I like to create my boards with a certain amount of flair and artistry, but I look forward to learning something new, digging deeper into a topic, sharing a funny video that I hope will make others cry and lose urine like I did.  It’s a new way of interacting, a new kind of community-making.

And it makes me happy.  That’s something to stick a pin in and hang on the wall.

1. docrob50
    Mar 12, 2013 @ 14:50:58

you lost urine?

me too

Mar 13, 2013 @ 08:04:08

Good for you for finding such a great place to hang out! I haven’t checked it out for just that reason. I know I’d be sucked even further into the online vortex, and I’ve got to reserve at least a couple of hours each day for boring, real-world stuff like work. Dang!

Mar 13, 2013 @ 08:45:00

Dang is right. On a different note, I’m trying something different in the FreshPressed category. When you asked me *when* I’d been FPed, and since I never have, I made a little change. I’ve always just had Categories listed on my posts–no Tags. I didn’t see the point of juggling two different sets of identifiers. But if that’s what it takes… Now I’m just waiting for FPness. Probably still as likely as Publishers’ Clearing House.

Mar 13, 2013 @ 21:09:42

I get too overwhelmed on Pinterest. But, I do know many people who are afflicted and I say it’s a good thing! Be happy!

I see your remark about Fresh Pressed above. When I was FPed, I had NO categories and NO tags! I hadn’t done much with my blog at the time. I was just writing, figuring I’d spiff it up later. I didn’t know what the categories and tags were… nor did I understand much about how to set up my blog. All of that came AFTER being FPed. I truly don’t know what it is they look for.

4. Evolution of X
    Mar 22, 2013 @ 08:45:54

My mother only joined the 21st century fairly recently and discovered the internet via an iPad that my Dad gave her for Christmas and I taught her to use. Within a few months she had discovered Pinterest and now (just a few months later), she has 71 boards; 15,140 pins and 555 followers. I think she’s a bit addicted. So most of the time I have spent there, I have been looking at Mom’s stuff (because she asks every time I call her and fusses if I don’t). I thought it would appeal to the collector in me, but I’ve found it a little overwhelming. But the way you describe it, I can see the appeal more clearly.

Mar 22, 2013 @ 09:23:59

It is overwhelming at first. But once you start following other people’s boards, you’ll just get those updates. So instead of everything, you’ll get the stuff you’re really interested in. Fans are amazingly quick on the uptake, so all the new stuff coming out about the new Star Trek movie, the second Hobbit film, Iron Man 3, etc. totally rocks my world.