A Few Days of Gratitude: Remembering Saruah

Sarah Benson, Sound Healing, MusicOnce upon a time, I happened on my fairy godmother.  We met thirteen years ago at the Healing Sounds Intensive in Colorado when I was just learning about the physics of vibration, frequency and the power of sound.  Tiny, playful, loving, Sarah Benson (Saruah) invited me to study with her at her farm outside Boston.  I visited her there twice, spending weeks opening to the love she offered me and learning to offer that healing balm to others.  We kept in touch, and when she died a few years ago, I counted her as one of my great Teachers.

Recently a friend transferred a cassette tape of Sarah’s music to CD.   I have other, professionally recorded CDs of her music, but these are songs and invocations Sarah taught me personally.  I’m so relieved and grateful to have them preserved.  Sarah helped me find my Voice and a path to the Sacred.  She charged me with a higher responsibility and gave me tools that saved my life later when bipolar disorder threatened it.  She was a blessing to me, and still is.

Here’s an invocation Sarah taught me, which I’ve used in many spiritual gatherings.  Bright Garment is sung by Sarah and her student, Terra Desch.

Oh, Our Mother the Earth,

Our Father the Sky,

Your Children are We.

And with tired backs,

We bring you gifts you love.

Then weave for us a Garment of brightness.

May the warp be the white light of morning.

May the weft be the red light of evening.

May the fringes be the falling rain.

May the border be the standing rainbow.

Thus, weave for us a Garment of brightness,

That we may walk fittingly where birds sing,

That we may walk fittingly where grass is green.

Oh, our Mother the Earth,

Our Father the Sky,

Your Children are We.

1. Penny
    Nov 17, 2012 @ 09:12:19

Oh, thank you for posting this… just beautiful (message and music)! What a blessing, not only that you were given, but that you continue to multiply by sending it out!

2. Moss Piglet
    Nov 17, 2012 @ 17:54:56

Oh the song is lovely…I would love to have a copy if I may to put somewhere so I can listen again & again?

3. littlesundog
    Nov 17, 2012 @ 18:31:23

Hmm, I couldn’t get the Bright Garment music to play. Regardless, what a lovely tribute to Sarah. The blessing of her life lives on…

4. The Mental Chronicles
    Nov 17, 2012 @ 21:01:18

It sounds like you really found a mentor in her. And I am not a spiritual person, but even I can see that those are some beautiful and powerful words in her song.

Nov 18, 2012 @ 05:07:29

I’m not a religious person, but spirituality can pop up all over the place–in the way the sun on my face makes me feel, in a sudden surge of gratitude, and in singing.

5. Fork in My Eye
    Nov 18, 2012 @ 08:19:12

I love the photo. And I love your last reply.

Nov 20, 2012 @ 13:59:51

Not many people get to meet their fairy godmother outside the pages of children’s books. How wonderful that you had the opportunity and took so much away from the experience -she has a lovely, gentle smile.