Etsy, the Final Frontier

Patrick Stewart, Captain PicardI’m not what you’d call a mercantile mastermind.  While I worked many years in retail as a bookstore manager, I never really studied consumer buying patterns or business strategy.  And while my ex-husband worked in advertising, I saw it more as entertainment than any kind of an aid to sales (I still think some commercials and print ads are more hilarious than the TV shows or magazines they support).

So it’s no great wonder that I’m completely stumped by Etsy and my little shop there.  I signed up for a very modest amount of advertising, but have no idea what the statistics generated by these ads tell me.  Terms like “Impressions” and “Views” are lost on me.  I just add new cards and collages to my inventory, crossing my fingers that shoppers will magically stumble over them.

Michael Dorn, Denise Crosby, Worf, YarOne little statistic I was able to untangle was that several shoppers have been looking at my collage of Leonard Nimoy.  It seems Star Trek is a “hot tag,” or a term people use to look for stuff.  I’m not really surprised.  We Trekkers are everywhere, waiting to take over the Universe with techno-babble and rubber foreheads.  And Trekkers like stuff.

So, in what I considered a brilliant marketing move, I started working on a line of Star Trek cards and posted the first ones to my shop today.  I’m having a blast crafting them, digging out images I’ve saved since I was a wee Trekling, choosing captions that are especially cheeky and irreverent.  But, will they sell?  Ahh, this is the question worth it’s weight in gold-pressed latinum.

Time will tell.  Unless there’s some disturbance in the space/time continuum. . .

1. Evelyn Atholl Moir
    Nov 12, 2012 @ 23:45:15

I think your cards and collage are truly scrumptious and I have shared this on my Facebook page…with selling ‘ditty’.
    I may need your marketing advice if I am ever to raise funds for my Baltic Cruise…we sacrifice our Christmas gift money for it, but will very soon put up our tree…a Save the Children £5 Charity Shop find, from an elderly lady from Poland, where dear Lolek came from…
    All we want for Christmas is a Joyful Healthy Family, and that is Free if we are Fortunate, and God’s Love x

Nov 13, 2012 @ 06:37:25

A ditty? I have a ditty? Waaaay cool!
      As for raising funds, I’d say take to the streets with a bucket, a bell, and a matronly costume. Tis the Season!

2. minlit
    Nov 13, 2012 @ 07:54:08

GREAT idea. I’m not even a trekkie, but I’m on my way to check them out. (My husband calls me Spock…..) Star Wars will also generate that hot-tagness, btw. Not so much with the whole vamp genre….Dunno why.

Nov 13, 2012 @ 09:37:18

Your stuff is great Sandy – as a satisfied customer I can attest to that! Good luck with the Star Trek line.

I’m intrigued by Etsy, but intimidated by the amount of work required to photograph things, take orders, figure shipping, etc. But, looking on the bright side, that might never be required if nobody buys, right?

Nov 13, 2012 @ 10:59:13

Thanks, Peg. I really appreciated your order and feedback.
      It does take a little time to set up. I’ve been snapping pix of my cards as I make them ever since I started blogging, so that part was easy. Figuring out shipping costs just took some snooping at other shops on Etsy to see what other card-makers and art dealers did, then setting up a standard shipping fee. Everything else is incredibly easy and automatic. But, I may not be taking full advantage. Sort of like not being able to figure out how to get FreshPressed.

4. Penny
    Nov 13, 2012 @ 17:28:42

Way to stick with untanging the info with the stats!! Who knows what else you will discover!

Nov 13, 2012 @ 18:00:39

I’m not a trekkie, but this has got to be a grand idea–especially as the holidays approach. Me? I’ve sold nothing at my Etsy shop–NOTHING. Oh well.
    Hugs,