The Plan

collage art, greeting cardsOur YWCA is closed this week for its annual scrub and tune-up.  This year they’re refinishing all the pools, so we won’t be back in the water until August 20.  Since I get a little squirrelly on weekends when I don’t have my water aerobics class, a whole week without water or my other exercise options carries the potential for what my shrink calls “destabilization.”  After stumbling though this for a few years, I finally figured out that I need to put an alternate exercise plan in place in order to come out the other side without going completely yampy.  Like the Russians in Hunt for Red October, I always need a plan.

ω ω ω

This year my friend, Penny, generously offered me the use of her condo’s pool.  I’m also hitting Tom and Cheryl’s stationary bike in the evenings, setting up “walking dates” with other friends, and doing solo walks as long as my feet hold out.  I’m much more comfortable in the water than on land—my feet and joints get too sore pounding the pavement, and I have a congenital twist in one leg that generates monster blisters no matter what kind of shoes I wear.  But, as long as I can give myself a few days between walks, I’m good.

So much in my life has shifted since last summer’s break from the Y.  This year I’m deeply committed to getting the exercise my brain and body have grown used to and need along with continuing my exploration of the vegan way of life.  Another year of living medication-free and developing strategies for managing my bipolar disorder roots me in my Bipolar Bad-Ass way of life.  As a reminder this week, I added another mantra to my Inspiration Door.  The illness rises and falls, but my determination to live well remains constant.

Hunt for Red October, Sean ConneryI think even Sean Connery would approve.

1. Evelyn Atholl Moir
    Aug 14, 2012 @ 01:31:12

You put me to shame with the excercise you achieve…I have not been in the pool this year, and my excercise bike in my kitchen is ace for drying large bath towels over (oops, and my AbDance in the bedroom currently has damp cat towel draped over it, from yesterday’s torrential showers). Thank God I have stairs in my wee hoose to keep my legs excercised, and I did manage four early morning walks recently, littler picking in the village as I went.
    I have to remember I have a major hip disability and little steps are the best. Here is my new excercise to share with you…
    Every morning open your window wide and try some Tai Chi…improvise the moves if you have no training, listening to your body as you go. I hold a little Medicine Ball too sometimes, transferring hand to hand as I invent new moves. Kind and gentle on the feet and limbs, it is an ancient and proven excercise you can do ANY WHERE, ANY TIME, and looks good, feels great!

I also admire your weight loss…I am stuck at my weight, and seriously thinking of attaching a nozzle to my vacuum cleaner to remove my belly…perhaps ignoring Dave the Ice cream Van man might help too. I promise to go swimming before the month is out, inspired by you.

Aug 14, 2012 @ 07:57:34

Oh, I’d so love to see your wee hoose! I think water is ever so much kinder to bone and joint problems. It can make you feel strong and powerful when its a struggle to even walk on land.

Aug 14, 2012 @ 04:52:38

I’m like you in the plan department–always needing one. But it looks like you are managing this break from the Y quite well. Congrats, my friend.
    Hugs,

Aug 14, 2012 @ 09:15:14

I’ve been slacking off a little with working out; not totally, but maybe 3 times per week instead of 5. It makes a difference, so I’ve had to recommit myself. How’s the vegetarian diet working? Do you have to think about it a lot to get the proper nutrition balance?

4. littlesundog
    Aug 14, 2012 @ 11:51:29

I too, am a planner. I am thankful I don’t have to look for or plan for exercise in my day… it’s called “chores” here and I manage plenty of it. I admire you pluck and stick-to-it-tiveness to “live well”. Bad-Ass logic seems to work well for you! Bravo!

5. Cheryl LaVille
    Aug 14, 2012 @ 19:22:51

I’m so proud of you! You are fiercely sticking to your plan and working it. Down to 200–50 pounds gone, committed to exercise, moving into vegan life. These are all signs of a healthy and focused life. Your determination and commitment to the best life you can live are inspirational–and a bit intimidating! Keep it up.

6. docrob50
    Aug 15, 2012 @ 10:19:56

well only while you are still straddling the black n chrome Harley…. but once you climb off and get human again your bad assness I think maybe melts……a little or am i just dreaming?