The Best Way to Boost Serotonin

Collage art, Greeting cardsMore cool information from  Dr. Michael Greger about nutrition and mental health.

Studies show that the secret to naturally boosting serotonin levels in the brain may include eating foods such as pumpkin seeds with a high tryptophan to total protein ratio.  This may help explain why studies show  that those eating plant-based diets have superior mood states.

(Oh please, oh please, oh please!)

Aug 06, 2012 @ 13:07:51

Could I get the same effect eating pumpkin cheesecake?

2. Evelyn Atholl Moir
    Aug 06, 2012 @ 20:22:34

UK TV Documentary last evening discussing diet and longevity suggested a pattern of feast one day, fast the next, encouraging the body to repair its self on the fast day…studies seemed to back up the more extreme adoption of a restricted calorie diet, and the feast & fast habit a softer option with very good results.
    I am really widening my scope of what to eat, with some pleasant surprises. Opened a can of cooked Chick Peas and they were heavenly to eat! Wandered around my little garden plucking wild strawberries, and made sure I ran fast when the Ice Cream Van drove into our road playing its merry tune…let us enjoy every mouth full of deliciousness.
    I love the electronic LED banner in my doctor’s surgery…
    EAT MORE COLOURED FOOD, EAT LESS BEIGE FOOD
    …I am sure you will agree colour more appetizing than beige. COLOR FOR MY US CHUMS 🙂

Aug 07, 2012 @ 15:28:42

So, so interesting, Evelyn! The allergist I saw last fall said the same thing–that the body functions better if it’s hungry. Not starving, but burning some of its stores.
      Eat The Rainbow, my beautiful friend!

3. Isabelle
    Aug 07, 2012 @ 00:22:44

I love the image. I live for magic. It’s there if you look…so says the insane girl. Truly, magic is everywhere.

4. littlesundog
    Aug 07, 2012 @ 17:52:32

I love the art today. I could use a little magic lately… I know it’s out there somewhere!

5. Dee Ready
    Aug 08, 2012 @ 09:46:16

Dear Sandy, thanks for this info. I’m going to try those pumpkin seeds. I’ve never had any! Are you doing the art we see on your blog? I’ve found it quite distinctive and evocative. If you are then I’m going to chalk up still another exceptional talent you have! Peace.

Aug 08, 2012 @ 11:40:01

Hey, Dee,
      I’m glad you found this useful. And yes, that’s all my art. Mostly greeting cards, but a few bigger collage pieces. Thanks for your kind words and for being part of the conversation!

6. An Embarrassment of Freedom
    Aug 08, 2012 @ 11:32:51

enjoying your post….interesting healing power of eating the right foods….trying that myself for arthritis and circulation issues….love the purging characteristic you mentioned…I’m laid back usually but come fall I get the purge urge and you know none of that stuff I get rid of i miss…..

Aug 08, 2012 @ 11:38:29

Thanks so much for visiting and for your comments. This is information we won’t get from our docs, which is so sad. Nutrition is the easiest way to get healthy.

7. dearsuburbia
    Aug 14, 2012 @ 08:01:25

So important to share this information. Thank you!