Vegetarian Gold

Abraham Lincoln, vegetarianI’ve just about completed my first week as a vegetarian, and the Judges are ready with their scores.

Level of Difficulty:  Nonexistent.  I’m amazed at how easy this is.  No meat, fish, dairy or eggs except for cream in my coffee and whatever gets into my bread.  I’ve been trying to eat “clean” for some time, so going for whole and raw foods is already part of my food-consciousness.  And if I don’t mess with sauces and other packaged items, I don’t have to wonder what’s in them.  Suh-weet!

Albert Einstein, vegetarianBalanced Nutrition:  A Perfect Ten.  Here’s another shocker.  Aldi, the discount grocery store in town, carries everything I’ll ever need to maintain a diet rich in protein, vitamins and minerals.  Nuts, beans, green leafy vegetables, a rainbow of fruit, brown rice—they’re all there.  So, not only do I get a winning score on nutrition, but also on cost.

Alice Walker, vegetarianWeirdness Factor:  I lose some points here trying to explain my new eating habits to Iowans.  I live in the middle of farm country where beef and pork production are major industries.  The slaughterhouse is the largest employer in town.  I’m thinking if I ran down Main Street naked, I might reach the level of incredulity and shock I’ve encountered.  But, I’ve been to this circus before.  I’ve learned how to take it slow and easy with scary, radical personal information.  If I can help my loved ones understand bipolar disorder a little bit better, I can do it again with a plant-based diet.

Annie Lennox, vegetarianPhysical Adaptation:  The score is still pending in this category.  I find I’m not nearly as hungry as I used to be, and that when I am hungry I can actually feel it in my stomach.  This is a new sensation for me, so I’m a little fascinated by it.  I’ve discovered that eating too many nuts at night will necessitate a mad dash in the wee hours of the morning (with or without cats-as-hurdles).  But it might only be pistachios.  More trials are required.

Tesla, vegetarianMental Health Score:  No consistent changes at this early stage.  I’m still rapid cycling.  It’s tempting to hope for a miracle, but I know better than that.  A little boost in energy or a smidge smoother moods would be glorious.  We shall see.

Weight Loss Marks:  Along with the informative Nutrisystem Lean13 review I read, the books I read at the library said it was more important to get comfortable with the new diet than worry about caloric intake, so I didn’t pay much attention to how much I ate this week.  And I still lost a pound at my TOPS weigh-in.  Can I say it again?  Suh-weet!

Christian Bale, vegetarianAll in all, I feel like I brought home the gold this week.  I plan to check prices of more exotic items at other grocery stores (like pumpkins seeds and black beans) to see if I can afford a few non-Aldi purchases.  And I’ll be on the look-out for restaurants that will be both affordable and vegetarian-friendly—for those times when my illness makes me bolt.  As with any non-typical diet, planning ahead saves on stumbles and belly-flops.

And on a completely different note:

All week, I’ve been hearing a song in my head.  It’s from a Porky Pig cartoon called “An Itch in Time” and featured a flea set out to munch on Porky’s dog. Like the flea, I’m feeling pretty happy about the food around my corner.

Food Around the Corner

1. lily
    Aug 03, 2012 @ 21:06:18

Sounds good! Healthy, not “scary and radical” I don’t think; pretty much how I eat. Bon appetit! ~ Lily

Aug 03, 2012 @ 21:09:37

Ah, come over here and tell my peeps, would ya?

• lily
        Aug 03, 2012 @ 21:20:25

Ha, that would be fun, I’m sure! One thing that helps me is that I am not a fanatic; I eat Very healthy day to day when on my own, but if I go to someone’s house, I veer towards healthy as much as I can and then don’t worry too much. I politely have tiny servings of things if they are not too far off track, and save the avoidance for things that are … say, deep fried or loaded with artificial ingredients. Works for me, anyway. Good luck, good eating! Happy weekend, too! ~ Lily

Aug 04, 2012 @ 06:09:56

This seems very wise to me. I don’t want to get pinched about it either and hope I can dance as gracefully as you do.

2. Evelyn Atholl Moir
    Aug 03, 2012 @ 22:54:00

Your little song took me back to Piggly Wiggly store New Bern North Carolina…oh happy travels USA, summers of 1980 & 1981. I kept a journal of the first trip & still correspond with my Virginian sweetheart…the FOOD was memorable as were the people I met & still love.
    I am no longer buying meat in any form, but have decided to keep fish & dairy in my diet. So value your sharing with us your experience and look forward to sharing your success.
    For the first time in my life I am looking at meat for what it is…dead birds and animals…and boy do I know about that, having worked in a Nigerian Slaughter House. We are blessed with such a beautiful variety of fruit, grain & vegetable choice to make eating dead creatures actually sound horrid. Time to break the habit of a life time…I was just thinking…the belly fat hanging from my body used to go Oink Oink, Moo and Bahh..Cheep Cheep…We are what we eat, and I would prefer to be a Botanical Beauty than a Tub of Lard.

3. Dee Ready
    Aug 04, 2012 @ 09:37:00

Dear Sandy, I’m so tickled that the past week has gone so well with and for you as you live with your new commitment to be a vegetarian. From what you’ve said here, I gather that you are going all the way with this and plan on living as a vegan. I never did that because for me that would mean, I’ve always thought, thinking of food too much as I tried to balance amino acids and proteins. But I applaud you as you try this and wish for you all that you hope for in this new adventure. Peace.

Aug 04, 2012 @ 18:41:37

From what I’ve read, the latest information says we don’t have to worry about all that so much any more. The vegan diet is more nutritionally complete than was first thought (according to people who study this stuff). Which is good, because I don’t want to think about it all the time either. Thanks so much for your support!

4. Fork in My Eye
    Aug 05, 2012 @ 14:48:51

Hey, good for you! And me too! This is the last day of my first week without eating animals or animal products. I gave up the creamer for my coffee too, but I let myself have ice cream on Friday. I think I will probably splurge every Friday on dairy because I can’t imagine giving up cheese for good, either. But otherwise, it’s been pretty easy so far for me too.

Aug 06, 2012 @ 10:50:13

Good for you for eating healthy. I’m interspersing that with bad-old-days Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup runs, but am trying to get back on track. I’m trying to increase fish and veg meals, but still like meat.
    Thanks for that little song – it lifted my day!