“Prometheus” Fizzles

Prometheus doesn’t steal any fire from Ridley Scott’s original Alien concept.  It’s just a pale retread of the 1979 original, complete with an untrustworthy android, evil corporation agendas, and H.R. Geiger’s creepy/organic set design.  There’s even the idiot who gets his face too close to the “fascinating” creatures.  Puh-lease!  Add to that the completely faulty logic of why this ship is out there in the first place, and all the special effects in the world can’t suspend enough disbelief.

I hadn’t intended on seeing this movie—my horror movie-going days are long gone.  But I needed distraction this weekend, and I’d seen everything else.  Don’t make my mistake.  In the cineplex, no one can hear you scream.

Jun 11, 2012 @ 13:08:32

Wow, you must see a lot of movies to have already seen all of the other options. I’m sure Sara and I haven’t been to the movie in over a year. Guess we haven’t missed too much in this one.
    Hugs,

Jun 11, 2012 @ 16:32:48

I do see a lot of movies, but there are some even I won’t spend my money on—like the ones that feature hangovers and stupid teen-sex, or most little kid movies, and the jumpy-outy horror flicks. I do have some standards!

2. rachelmiller1511
    Jun 12, 2012 @ 09:23:19

Oh no- I really liked it, thought it was amazing, but I’ve never been a fan of the original!!! There were a few stupid bits though like the one you described- the guy getting too close to alien. Also at the end Dr Shaw goes off with David in another alien ship. This one obviously didn’t have any aliens or black goo on it then?? Far too easy!

Otherwise though I thought the graphics were amazing and the scene when she operates on herself was totally gripping.

3. halfwaybetweenthegutter
    Jun 15, 2012 @ 12:11:38

I was going to see it, but I’m such a huge fan of Alien/s that I didn’t want to be disappointed. I suspect it’s best I keep away from this one!

Jun 15, 2012 @ 18:38:09

Sometimes if you know it’s going to be awful, you can find a few choice bits to take away. That’s the way I try to look at movies people I respect have panned. If you *do* see it, please let me know what you think.

4. madestaticadmin
    Jun 19, 2012 @ 08:40:53

If anything, you can’t deny that it was absolutely gorgeous to look at, especially if you saw it in 3D. By far the clearest 3D experience I have had.

Jun 19, 2012 @ 10:35:37

I agree, it was a visual feast. But, I’ve given up 3D. It’s ridiculously expensive and most of the time I can’t tell the difference from 2D. But, I’m glad it was a treat for you.