Callinda Launch Party

Outside, the day was a little gloomy with patchy rain.  Inside, love burned bright.

My cousin, Janet, was the first to arrive as she was on her way to work.  We grew up together, her family’s farm a mile away from mine.  Life happened, and we lost touch.  But, here she is—the same loving, hilarious, take-no-prisoners force of nature she was when we were kids.  Janet is the perfect example of what I’m trying to do with my life now—pull together past and present to open a door for the future, leave nothing behind but hold it all lightly.

The gals in my meditation group encouraged me to do a reading from Callinda at the party.  They were a little surprised I hadn’t planned on it, seeing as how the whole shindig was about finishing the thing and getting it “published” on this blog.  So, I dug out my glasses and tried to find the most hair-raising section—just to tantalize those who hadn’t read it yet.  Look how attentive they were—even the kids listened!  If I hadn’t already felt surrounded by love, I surely did then.

All the party details fell into place like a jigsaw puzzle.  Kris Davison prepared wonderful, tasty food, my sister took over as dish washer/photographer/hostess so I could mingle and visit with all 35 guests, we almost had enough chairs most of the time, and I’d made enough Quote Plaques for everyone.

For me, this party was a way to thank everyone who supported me while I worked on Callinda—and, at the same time, struggled to manage my bipolar disorder.  These folks gave me perspective, laughter, money, coffee, hugs, meals, shelter and cheerleading.  They took care of my Dad, exercised with me, meditated with me, accepted me as I was, invited me into their homes, paid my way, gave me work, introduced me as their friend, took me on dates, cheered when I lost weight, and stayed when others left.

I wanted to thank them, and yet they brought flowers and gifts along with their support and love.

Whenever I would wander into a conversation or plop down next to someone taking a break from grazing the food table, they would say, “What a neat bunch of people.”

Yes, they are.

1. carlarenee45
    Apr 22, 2012 @ 10:18:24

oh that must have been wonderful. Im sure your family and friends are extreemly proud of you. I read some of it myself and thought the writing was well like a proffessional but that is what you are now lol. Congrats girl!

2. dalsher
    Apr 22, 2012 @ 10:33:43

It was a wonderful party! I loved meeting your friends who have supported you through the years. I know those from up North couldn’t make it, but we thought about them all the same. The group was delightful and so very diverse – you are blessed, Sissy.

Apr 22, 2012 @ 11:44:56

Unfortunately, there are no pictures of you being the mostest hostess!
      BTW, I threw out all the extra food this morning—my calorie counting couldn’t take it.

Apr 22, 2012 @ 18:01:31

Oh, it looks like a wonderful party. Congrats again on completing Callinda! Hope you enjoy the rest of your weekend.
    Hugs,

4. The Mental Chronicles
    Apr 22, 2012 @ 18:38:47

That sounds wonderful! I’m really glad it turned out to be fun. I can say this: you’re braver than me. I would have been far too shy to read something I wrote at a party–even if it was the whole point of the party, haha.

5. ManicMuses
    Apr 23, 2012 @ 03:41:01

So glad your party was a success! Congrats again on Callinda. You go, Sandy!

Apr 23, 2012 @ 09:00:06

This is so great! Congratulations on finishing the book, and on the wonderful party.

7. Grainne
    Apr 23, 2012 @ 09:26:32

I was happy to read of how well your party went! I had hoped it would turn out to be all you wished it to be. 🙂

It must be lovely to have so many supportive, loving friends. That’s the one thing in life I can’t quite establish for myself…those sorts of friendships, but it’s heartwarming to read of them.

Apr 23, 2012 @ 15:29:28

People are HARD, there’s no doubt about that. As I work at managing my BP, I work on my relationships. It’s a toss-up as to which one is more difficult.

8. littlesundog
    Apr 23, 2012 @ 21:13:28

I’m so glad your party was a great and rewarding event! I loved the pictures… everyone looks so happy!