Feeling Human

April is National Poetry Month.  Who knew?  Congress obviously has other fish to fry than announcing such news to the country.  But our local library knew and sponsored a wonderful event the other night.

A retired English teacher from a nearby school district gave a program on Robert Frost.  He told about Frost’s life and struggles as a poet and a man, then sprinkled the talk with performances of Frost’s poetry.  I say performances because these were more than readings or recitations—they were dramatic expressions of Frost’s words and emotions.  I was moved to tears during every poem, and now have a whole new appreciation for the man and his poetry.

As I walked home under a star-laden sky, I felt like some empty cup inside me had been filled—the part of me that loves theater and folk music from other countries, the part of me that dances and chants, the part of me that seeks out museums and art festivals, the part of me that lives in color and moves in rhythm.  I couldn’t put my finger on it.  What was that expansive feeling that had been watered by Robert Frost?  Then the stars told me.  I feel human.

• • •

A Minor Bird

I have wished a bird would fly away,
And not sing by my house all day;

Have clapped my hands at him from the door
When it seemed as if I could bear no more.

The fault must partly have been in me.
The bird was not to blame for his key.

And of course there must be something wrong
In wanting to silence any song.

Robert Frost

1. docrob50
    Apr 14, 2012 @ 18:02:00

now i do too……thanks for this post

2. Fork in My Eye
    Apr 14, 2012 @ 20:37:12

“The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep.”
    From my favorite Frost poem. Your post inspired me to look it up and read it again. Thanks!

3. littlesundog
    Apr 14, 2012 @ 22:24:15

My Grandma K. love Robert Frost. After reading this post I promptly looked at Grandma’s poetry books and read some of Frost’s writings. Thank you for leading me down such a beautiful, breathtaking path.

Apr 16, 2012 @ 10:43:21

I never think to just sit quietly and read poetry – my life is all about busy and noise. Can you imagine a time when people did have miles to walk through silent woods in order to get somewhere? Thank you for the poetry!

5. littlemissobsessivesanatomy
    Apr 17, 2012 @ 13:57:07

wow..i never [thought] i would ever like a [poem] so much

6. lily2u1
    Apr 19, 2012 @ 20:00:27

Beautiful. Thank you for sharing this! Hope your party preparations are coming along splendidly. ~ Lily