Party Assemblage

Plans are coming together for my Callinda Celebration Party on April 21.  I’ve reserved the community room in our apartment complex, made and sent the invitations.  Just when I was ready to raid my little savings account (the start of a new car fund) in order to cater the food, Mom offered to pay for everything.  What a wonderful gift!  I fully intended to celebrate in style, not put out a bowl of M&Ms and cheap punch, which is what I can afford.  I wanted to celebrate life now, not wait a decade when I may or may not be able to buy a car.  Get fear out of the way and miracles happen.

Now I’m in the process of making the party favors.  I wanted to create a little piece of art for everyone to take away with them, so I printed out quotes from the book and made a little platform for them.  This involves sewing fabric onto cardboard (yes, I had to learn how to sew again), lots of paint, stamping, embossing, beading, funky fabrics, sequins, fibers and the accompanying glues, tapes and tools.  I’m taking this:

And turning it into this:

I can only do three or four a day (sewing into cardboard, even with a thimble, is a little rough on the fingers), but in the meantime I can attend to other party details.  Like ordering an alien-looking, Zen floral arrangement for the table, and washing up the glass service party trays from my mom’s basement (and a recent find at a local thrift store).

Assemblage is a study in details—one more layer, one more bead, one more texture.  I’m hoping my party will hum with subtext and delight the eye.  The overriding theme is joy, and I can hear the laughter already.

1. minlit
    Apr 10, 2012 @ 07:42:49

Can I like this twice much?

2. Kitty
    Apr 10, 2012 @ 10:06:39

Thank you for this… “Get fear out of the way and miracles happen.” and this… “Love is always worth the pain, Majesty. It’s how we know we’re alive.”

That damn fear.

3. lily2u1
    Apr 10, 2012 @ 10:13:48

What a wonderful and creative person you are! Have a fun party! ~ Lily

4. Evelyn Atholl Moir
    Apr 10, 2012 @ 11:51:26

Oh how I wish I could come to your party…but the Atlantic Ocean divides us…I had two FAB summers in NYC, Virginia & North Carolina 1980 & 81…still in contact with my VA Sweetheart Wardell…we have been pen palls ever since & he plans to come over soon for a visit.
    I am too immobilized now to travel far, even to my family home 400 miles away in Scotland…being born with dislocated hip…but as my son JAM just hit 20, I feel I have done my job…mother for life.
    Keep posting…my special friend Sandy Sue.

Apr 10, 2012 @ 14:57:35

I wish you could be here, too. Someday I’ll come across the pond and visit. I’ve always dreamed of seeing the Isles and knowing I have friends there make the dream even sweeter.

Apr 10, 2012 @ 12:48:25

This is so exciting! What a lovely attention to detail you show. I’d be lucky to remember the M&M s.

Apr 10, 2012 @ 15:03:12

How fun, Sandy. You will have a wonderful party. Love the assemblage project!
    Hugs,

7. bipolarmuse
    Apr 10, 2012 @ 17:29:09

That is beautiful!! I would like to make a homemade journal cover that looks similar… I wish I had your skills. Beautiful work!

8. Fiddle gal
    Apr 10, 2012 @ 19:30:14

I am so excited to come to your party! The sun will shine that day!

9. Fork in My Eye
    Apr 14, 2012 @ 20:31:20

Good for you for celebrating! And what a cool thing to do for your guests.

10. littlesundog
    Apr 14, 2012 @ 22:08:29

“Love is always worth the pain, Majesty. It’s how we know we’re alive.” I needed that today… each post strikes a chord with me. Thank you for that! If I wasn’t so busy taming tornadoes and driving off hail down here in Oklahoma, I’d crash your party! Sounds like a smashing good time!