Back in the Driver’s Seat

I can’t be alone!  Because—as you must have noticed—I’m—not very well…  Blanch DuBois from A Streetcar Named Desire

♦ ♦ ♦

I got in my truck this morning and drove.  Ear buds firmly in place and rocking to John Mellencamp.  Sun warm and golden on my face.  Belly pain mitigated by Advil.  Oh, sweet freedom after giving up driving to surgery.

I ended up seeing a movie (Friends with Kids.  Highly recommended), then camping out at Panera the rest of the day working on Callinda.  I put in a good four hours of writing, which felt fabulous after a week and a half of narcotics-induced brain fuzz.

The weather today was pure spring.  I had the windows down on the way home and could smell the trees budding.  Heaven.

Today gave me courage to think outside the post-surgical box.  Monday, I’ll start back to the Y, now that I can drive without issue, to walk on the track and in the water.  Take it easy, see how it goes.  The next four weeks of restrictions are starting to seem possible instead of incarcerary.

And as for Callinda, I’m down to the last three chapters of the book, which I plan to post all at once.  There’s too much weaving back and forth now at the end to try to do otherwise.  And there is an end.  I’ve seen it and it sees me.

1. patricemj
    Mar 24, 2012 @ 21:55:16

I love Streetcar…happy you’re out!

2. carlarenee45
    Mar 25, 2012 @ 00:15:21

I am glad you are getting back on your feel aftr surgery. Seems like you are doing pretty good. Cant wait for you to share Callina with us!

3. ManicMuses
    Mar 25, 2012 @ 04:31:39

I’m so happy to hear you’re doing so well. Keep those words flowing…it’s got to feel great that the end of Callinda is in sight!

Mar 25, 2012 @ 07:34:38

Love the collage, Sandy. I can only imagine how great it must be to be driving again. So glad you are feeling well enough to do it. Good luck at the gym this coming week–hope you have a lovely Sunday.
    Hugs,

5. Grainne
    Mar 25, 2012 @ 08:01:56

The spring weather can really put a nice perspective on things can’t it?! I’ve had a wonderful week in the warm sun.

Glad to hear your doing so well with your book! I have much to catch up on here. 🙂

6. littlesundog
    Mar 25, 2012 @ 10:43:22

Glad you are out and about! I wish you were here picking the delectable morel mushrooms in the woods with me… the spring weather is just fantastic, eh? Glad the book writing is going well!

Mar 26, 2012 @ 09:36:59

I’m so glad you’re getting around. I think I fixed the polling problem on my blog and posted a comment about it after yours. Sorry – I’m a technological neanderthal too!

I hate to sound like a surrogate mom, but earbuds in the car? – it’s not safe, Miss Sandy Sweetie! (and illegal most places I think)

Mar 26, 2012 @ 18:21:48

Sorry, Peg-O, I’ll have to be illegal. My choices for radio stations are either ’70’s Disco or country western (ugh) and my dad’s truck doesn’t have a tape or CD player. Think of is this way–which would you rather have, me driving in Mania Mode at 85mph+, or calm and deaf? Come to think of it, you’d better stay in Michigan.

8. bornattwentyfive
    Mar 26, 2012 @ 11:41:52

Glad to hear you are doing well! I cant wait to see that movie!