Valentine-less

For someone prone to loneliness and conditioned to want a White Knight, Valentine’s Day without a valentine stinks.  It doesn’t help that the depression is back just enough to crank up the anxiety and agitation or that my medical bills from surgery and allergy testing are pecking at me like harpies.

I am uncomfortable today in several ways, and feel myself thrashing around trying to ease the pain.  I will not be skillful at this today, nor heroic, nor a Bad-Ass of any kind.  But, I will get through it.  This unfortunate day will pass, and another will come, and another.  I will be the thread that ties them all together.

So, to comfort myself today, and maybe anyone else who is valentine-less, I offer this beautiful song.

1. Evelyn Atholl Moir
    Feb 14, 2012 @ 06:34:24

HAPPY ST. VALENTINE’S DAY Sandy Sue…
    If it cheers you up, I got a bag of compost for my St. Valentine’s Day gift, from an old Irish fellow…my best friend.
    With the compost I will sow and grow my Sweet Peas x

Feb 14, 2012 @ 08:58:49

“Bag of Compost.” Is that what the kids are calling it these days? If the old Irish fellow isn’t too busy, send him my way and I’ll take a bag off his hands.

2. littlesundog
    Feb 14, 2012 @ 09:20:09

We humans put a lot of importance on the silliest things. I feel a sense of loss and pain on Mother’s Day. Christmas too, is a difficult holiday for me to endure. I am a loner, always have been. I feel the oddball in my family, and I have very few friends. I suppose that is why I find comfort in the animal world and nature. There is no expectation to achieve and be anything but myself.

Be good to yourself today, and know that many people who are deeply connected by your thoughts and prose, have understanding.

Feb 14, 2012 @ 19:18:32

When I start to feel deadly alone, all I have to do is come here. I means so much to have this community. And your words are particularly loving and meaningful for me today. Thank you, Lori.

3. Fiddle gal
    Feb 14, 2012 @ 09:30:49

This has always been a difficult time for me also. What I try to focus on is loving myself as I would like someone else to. I have even bought myself roses and it reminds me how I love flowers. Last year on valentines day I attended a visitation of a friend who had died, on the way home I stopped to buy something to eat to take home because I didn’t want to eat alone in the restaurant. There was quite a line and a gentlemen had cut ahead of me, he felt bad and bought my dinner. The universe works in mysterious ways. This year I am staying with my Grandson while my daughter and her husband are in Mexico with her father and family. Do I wish I were still with my ex-husband and in Mexico? No! I would much better be in no where Iowa with myself intact and having a little one sitting on my lap! Blessings to you on Valentines day!

Feb 14, 2012 @ 10:58:51

Hugs to you, dear heart! Hang in there!

5. The Mental Chronicles
    Feb 14, 2012 @ 17:34:19

Loneliness is tough enough to deal with without all that other crap. Valentine’s Day is usually a bittersweet holiday for me, too. I guess my point is that at least you aren’t alone. Hope that made you feel at least sorta better