Affirmations and Visions

I recently visited a new-to-me blog site and, once again, was astounded by the many things I have in common with the blogger.  Lara is bipolar, a student of Buddhism and in the middle of a huge weight loss.  Her inspiring site is full of information.  I’m giddy over my find.

One of her recent posts on creating vision boards reminded me that visual affirmations carry powerful juju.  No matter how committed we are to change and growth, we can’t escape the tapes that natter in our heads.  They become so ingrained that they play like background Muzak at Wal-Mart.  We don’t even know the music is playing until we find ourselves walking to the beat.

Unfortunately, these old tapes are mostly negative and self-defeating.  The only way to shut them up is to replace them with new messages.  Our personalities don’t like this.  Our personalities want us to go back to sleep and quit causing trouble.  Changing channels requires effort and awareness to recognize the crappy messages from the past and substitute something more truthful.  Affirmations and vision boards help reinforce our preference for Alternative Music.

My friend, Lily, used to stick affirmations all over her house to remind her of the power of love, the power of grace, and her own personal power.  I used to love reading all the Post-its around her lavatory mirror.  It made going to the bathroom a religious experience.

Last year I made a vision board, what I call a dream collage, around my goal of losing weight.  I stuck it on my bedroom door and mostly forgot about it.  But, Lara’s post reminded me of the power there.  The images and words I chose are significant now as they were then.

I recently dreamed about Bruce Willis (not one of my regular heroes, but he’ll do in a pinch).  In the dream, he looked down at me with his usual smug expression and said, “You can do it.”  In the dream, it felt like one Bad-Ass bolstering another.  When I woke up, I found a picture of Bruce on the Net, printed it out, taped him to my front door with his words nearby.  You can do it.

Now as I walk out the door every day, I’m reminded of my Bad-Ass power.

If you want to make a change and are finding it difficult, I invite you to visit Lara’s post on vision boards.  She offers directions and guidance that are superb.  Stick those ear-buds in and start singing a different tune.

1. Fiddle gal
    Jan 03, 2012 @ 07:51:36

Great post full of helpful info.

2. olodudeadeoluwar
    Jan 03, 2012 @ 08:17:18

luv this piece

3. kalima123
    Jan 03, 2012 @ 10:06:43

Sandy, you are amazing! Thank you so much for the gift of discovering you and your blog. Using this media to inspire and lift up others from one’s own experience has been amazingly rewarding and continue to want to do this work. Thank you!!

Jan 03, 2012 @ 10:13:39

I can’t wait to check out Laura’s blog. I know if it moved you, it will move and inspire me, as well. Thanks, my friend. You are such a gift to me.
    Hugs,

5. Sheryl Mae
    Jan 03, 2012 @ 19:33:02

I have a favorite saying that fits into your Bad-Ass training: Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning the devil says, “Oh, crap! She’s up!”

6. Barb
    Jan 04, 2012 @ 00:57:03

this is the second time this year, someone has spoken to me about vision boards, perhaps it’s time to listen. Very intriguing. Sounds introspective and discoverable.

Jan 04, 2012 @ 04:57:22

And it can be a lot of fun. Go in with no expectations, no need to make anything “pretty.” Just go with the flow and you’ll be surprised at what happens.
      Thanks so much for visiting.