Winter Solstice

The World Tree

by Carol Singer

Surely, deeply, a holy Tree grows in your heart.

Ancient wisdom is there in a touch of its bark.

Its joyous leaves catch Heaven’s light,

The roots are strong with Earth’s own might,

To keep you through the longest night

And lead you out of the dark.

∞ ∞ ∞

The longest night of the year.

For those of us with bipolar disorder, this day is more than simply the beginning of winter.  It’s a reminder that even the darkest nights end, the deepest depressions, the craziest mania.  While in the dark, we can’t see an ending, we can’t feel the Earth turning and tilting.  But the Universal cycles continue nevertheless.  Winter Solstice reminds us of the turning and the promise of Light returning.

An image often associated with Winter Solstice is Yggdrasil, or the World Tree.  In Norse mythology, it embodies the concepts of renewal, it’s branches reaching into Heaven, and it’s roots into the Earth and Beyond.

Today, I invite you to take a moment from your day to mark the Solstice.  Remember yourself with branches reaching into the Divine and roots deep in the safe, warm Earth.  Standing tall in the dark, feel the moment of Light returning.  Feel the promise fulfilled.  Breathe, and be at peace.

Dec 21, 2011 @ 09:16:55

Thank you for the reminder and the metaphor – lovely. Is that tree known personally to you?

2. KatiesCameraBlog
    Dec 21, 2011 @ 11:03:24

I love how you equate the Solstice to life. I’m not bipolar, but i surely have my deep issues, and it’s wonderful to think, even in the darkest days that there is hope too. Great post. And Happy Solstice!

Dec 21, 2011 @ 11:35:39

Gosh, what a beautiful post, Sandy. I will do as you suggest, and I’ll try to draw the tree, as well. Thank you for sharing this. It’s gorgeous. I makes me feel embraced!
    Hugs,

4. Fiddle gal
    Dec 21, 2011 @ 12:34:53

Thanks. It really touched my heart. Blessings!

5. Richard L Olson
    Dec 21, 2011 @ 14:16:49

Speaking of the season of darkness. My father in law chose to die today after a protracted illness. Carol is doing well. I got good rest last night and this morning.

My father chose to depart on Summer Solstice.

Seasons Greetings,

Richard Olson

Dec 21, 2011 @ 15:43:14

Richard, Much love to you and Carol. It’s hard to lose a loved one at any time, but during the holiday season makes it especially stressful. I’ll be holding you both in my meditations.

6. docrob50
    Dec 21, 2011 @ 22:05:32

Sandy – Sue,

It’s beautiful! I have never heard of this poem bu† you know how I like trees!
    I have a young friend with a very old soul – goes by missspicymudpie I am sending a link for your site to her. you have much to teach and i am glad i stumbled upon this site – upon you and your courage!

Thanks for all the glimmers of light and all the shades of darkness i am sometimes privy to imagine as we share this up/down mixed/up journey we call life.

robert

Dec 22, 2011 @ 06:12:54

Robert, thank you for all your kindness and grace. Carol Singer is a good friend of mine. She wrote the song “The World Tree” for a Winter Solstice celebration we did together in Minneapolis.

7. wildflowers' movement
    Dec 23, 2011 @ 02:55:00

Nice poem… Thanks for sharing.