Potpourri

I’m a little jumbled and manic this morning—the trip to Minnesota, the sick kitty, the gallery.  It’s not that the events are too much, but as my brain slides along the bipolar slope it snatches them up and runs.  Yesterday I spent all day pouring over and adding to the research for my story, Callinda.  When my mind starts to go fuzzy, I can always do charts and graphs, so I’m drawing maps and making lists.  I used to ask my friend, Cheryl, to give me her quizzes and spelling tests from school to check.  It seems the logical/linear part of my brain still functions and can calm the other frenzied or depressed parts by operating on a task.  I wonder if any research has ever been done…

For everyone who sent well-wishes for Henry, he’s peeing freely again and seems none the worse for spending a night at the animal clinic.  He takes his banana-flavored medicine like a little trooper, though he does make a face.  Eeuw.  I would, too.

May 19, 2011 @ 08:42:25

My manic experience is very similar. I obsessively make lists, use graph paper, bead, and draw geometrically in an effort to calm and sooth myself. (Beads are used as a part of prayer for a reason, fingering them is grounding and connective.)
    Peace to you, my friend,

May 21, 2011 @ 07:56:15

I love the idea of prayer beads. I have a hard time sitting in stillness when I’m manic, though I try to keep up my meditation practice. It’s hard. Walking meditation, or just going for a walk in nice weather works a little better and burns off some of the energy.

2. Josh
    May 19, 2011 @ 14:19:52

Glad to hear Henry is doing better. Wow cool brain…

Josh -:)

May 21, 2011 @ 07:53:42

When I’m not cussing my brain, I’m intrigued by it. And yours. Any all our friends with mental health issues. It’s like a big, jelly toybox.

May 20, 2011 @ 04:46:19

Checking back with you–to see how the hypo-mania is. Just a bit concerned. Sara and I are going to Georgia to visit friends for a few days, so I will be away from the blogosphere–but I’ll be thinking about you and all the FABULOUS art you’re creating!

May 21, 2011 @ 07:20:40

I had a little manic blackout there, but I’m conscious again and none the worse (except for a stiff neck). It really is sobering to get to the other side of an episode and look back at the craziness.