Easy Peasy

Tuesday, I wrapped up several of my collage pieces, gathered together a bundle of my greeting cards, and trooped over to The Perfect Setting to visit with the owner, Pam Swarts, and her gallery manager, Carol.

I’d been coaching myself for days about approaching this appointment as an adventure, an experiment in stepping out with my art.  I told myself it would be interesting and useful to see how people other than my family and friends react to my work. Would “arty” people get my sense of humor?  Is my stuff typical of other collage and assemblage works?  Would an art dealer consider my stuff marketable or just amateur crafting?  I told myself this meeting could be informative and useful.  “Profitable” was not a direction I wanted my thinking to take.

Pam asked me to lay out my pieces.  She asked lots of questions about my process, about the stories behind the pieces and my personal story. She and Carol discussed how they might display a piece, who the target audience might be, and which pieces might be too personal to connect with a customer.

Then they pulled out the checkbook.

Wait!  What?

Pam bought all the greeting cards and chose three larger pieces to put on consignment.  One of the larger pieces she like so much, she was willing to buy it outright and frame it herself.  She and Carol called my work “unusual” and “deep.”  They asked me to write stories for the three pieces that were more layered with symbolism and myth so customers could get the “full meaning.”

So, now I have a contract and an inventory list that I’m to bring back “when I have other pieces to show them.”  And I have that first check.  I’m in shock.

Could it really be this easy?

May 18, 2011 @ 07:30:16

Is this fabulous, or what! Congratulation, Sandy–you sooooooo deserve this! I couldn’t be happier for you!

2. Jeff
    May 18, 2011 @ 10:02:02

…oh ye of little faith….YEA!!!!!

3. Gemma Sidney
    May 18, 2011 @ 10:29:50

Congratulations! The hardest part – making that first step – is behind you now. I’m sure your contact with The Perfect Setting will lead to great things!

4. stevebetz
    May 18, 2011 @ 12:32:53

Very good! Good luck with the sales!

5. Fiddle gal
    May 18, 2011 @ 13:40:04

Way to go girl!!!! You are the greatest artist. Your work is truly art!

6. Josh
    May 19, 2011 @ 14:36:01

That is AWESOMEM,

7. MNman
    May 19, 2011 @ 15:49:52

Well…after all, it is a reflection of your good taste. Get into production! Next time you’re buying the coffee for Des Moines Jeff & me!

8. Linda
    May 19, 2011 @ 18:34:35

Congratulations! And don’t sell yourself short! Easy? Well, you’ve worked really hard for many years for this, right?
    Ho to your FLOW!
    Linda

May 21, 2011 @ 07:48:51

Thanks for the reality check, Linda. I forget how many years I’ve been playing with paper and paint. I have to get my head around being as “professional” about it as I am about writing. It’s a new mindset.