The Etsy Conundrum

It seems like Etsy keeps coming up in conversations lately.  Folks think I should sell my collage cards and larger pieces there.  I’m torn.  While I’d love to get my art into hands that want them, and I’d love to make a little money, the logistics seem overwhelming.  There’s a fee to list the item.  There’s packaging.  There’s postage.  I’ve looked at the cards that are available on Etsy now—thousands, mind you.  And while I’ve run across a couple of original collage-type cards, I haven’t found any that are similar to mine.  But, the average price for these cards is around $2.00.  It just doesn’t seem worth the trouble.

While I’m sitting here pondering all this, I wonder if I shouldn’t contact Pam, the owner of the local art gallery/gift shop, and actually show her my work.  I’ve talked to her a little bit, and she’s expressed interest.  Maybe it’s time to take the plunge.

Okay.  Yes.  This will be my task today.

Yikes!

1. Fiddle gal
    May 11, 2011 @ 07:14:38

That seems like a good idea. Your work is wonderful!

May 11, 2011 @ 07:46:34

I can relate! I don’t think selling your cards for $2 is worth it, but the notion of talking to Pam is brilliant. Get your stuff out there, Sandy! Your work is wonderful————

3. Jess
    May 11, 2011 @ 09:44:38

Good luck! I like the idea of the local art gallery; it seems like that would be more worthwhile and rewarding, especially since you could make local contacts!

Take care,
    Jess

4. Suicideripp
    May 11, 2011 @ 12:28:23

Etsy? Sounds like a lotta trouble to me!
    Local gift shop? Great idea!!!
    Congrats on making the appointment. I’m sure she will love your work! It’s truly gorgeous.

5. MNman
    May 11, 2011 @ 13:36:45

To quote Nike…”Just Do It!”

6. gypsy116